troejg
Newly Registered

cantaloupes die before blooming

Hi, I am having trouble with my cantaloupe plants, I have 6 of them and they are 64 days old, and yet to form a single melon. The female flowers simply turn yellow and die before they have a chance to bloom. I am also growing watermelons at the same place with the exact same conditions, and they are thriving, biggest one weighing in at 2 pounds now.
Here is some pictures of my cantaloupes: https://imgur.com/a/nDtet

Anyone have any idea as to why my cantaloupes die before getting a chance to bloom?

imafan26
Mod

You are growing these indoors?

Are you growing a seedless watermelon? If it is a seedless watermelon it would be parthenocarpic and not require polinations
If the other vines are not parthenocarpic they would require hand polination to set fruit.

One of the flowers do seem to be aborting. Environmental conditions can cause flowers to abort. Some vine plants can only support only so many flowers or fruit at any one time so they abort the excess. Conditions too hot or too cold can do the same thing.

troejg
Newly Registered

Thank you for your answer. They are indeed grown indoors with open windows though. I already hand pollinate my watermelons, the problems with my cantaloupe is the female flowers turn yellow and wilt before they bloom - so I never get the chance to hand pollinate them :(

Return to “All Other Fruit”