catfishhoward
Newly Registered

Raspberry Crown Borer

I just found this in my new mulberry, I believe it was a raspberry crown borer, after cutting a foot off I seen it come out and fly away and now the mulberry is only 3' tall. My question is should I keep cutting it down till I find the bottom of the hole? could there be larvae in the hole, I believe the borer did this in 24 hr's before I got him? is there something I can put in the hole to kill them? will the tree grow properly with the hole in it?
mulberry cane borer.jpg

JohnGCS

If this is Rasberry Crown Borer then it's very possible there is larvae and it feeds on crowns, at the base of canes, and larger roots. Larvae migrate to the crown of the plant where they dig into the base of the cane. So check for any swelling at the base of cane or a tunnel.

There are some chemical treatment that you can use but make sure the read the label before as timing is important. Also make sure you follow up the treatment.

catfishhoward
Newly Registered

Well I had to do something so I went with my gut feeling and started cutting to the bottom of the hole, a half a foot later we're good, hard to believe that little sucker went in a foot and a half over night. There was no larvae.

Return to “All Other Fruit”