AlexR
Newly Registered

Help with yellowing blueberry leaves

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with the leaves on a "Peach Sorbet" blueberry bush. (https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/p ... blueberry/.) The edges of the leaves are turning brown and then eventually white, but I'm a very amateur gardener, and I don't know how to diagnose the problem.

Some things that might be relevant: (1) these were only planted about two months ago, (2) they were planted in a 50/50 mix of acidic (azalea) soil and native soil, (3) I'm in Southern California, (4) a few days ago we had a heat wave where it nearly reached 100F for a few days, and that intensified the problem, (5) they're on a drip system that gives each plant 2gal of water twice a week, (6) the browning is most prominent on the leaves at the edge of the plant, but it's happening on some near the base as well.

Thanks!
- Alex
Attachments
C360_2016-06-11-11-14-26-410.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

My first impression Alex would be dessication caused by water loss.
In very hot weather the leaves can transpire water faster than the roots can replace it. When that happens, parts of the leaf dessicates and just crisps up.
Usually the plants recover quite quickly.
It helps a lot if you heavily water and then apply a good layer of mulch. This keeps that moisture in and stops evaporation.

AlexR
Newly Registered

Thank you!

Return to “All Other Fruit”