ainjii
Newly Registered

Pale yellow spots appearing on store bought tangerine tree

Hello!

I bought a tangerine tree from the store about 2 months ago. Within the last few weeks the leaves started getting very pale yellow spots. They just get bigger. I tried watering less and I tried a citrus fertilizer but they keep coming. Any ideas what this could be?
Attachments
image.jpeg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Have you tried applying Epsom salts to the water? This may be a manganese deficiency. Add a couple heaping table spoons for a watering cab of water and water the tree with it about once a week, until you see results.

This reminds me; maybe this is a watering issue. How much and how often are you watering it?

Also, check for any small bugs or webs.

Please update and I'll try to help! :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

has it been in full sun the whole time? looks a little like sunscald.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yes, possibly, it could be sunburn, however enlarging the photo, I noticed that there are small "Grain-like" stuff on the leaves. I think they are bugs/insects/pests that are causing the damage.

ainjii
Newly Registered

Thanks for your quick replies! I water it about one per week, 1.5 gallons. I tried adding some epsom salt to the water this week to see if it helps.

The grain like stuff on the leaves, I think, is sooty mold. I also spray with neem oil once per week to ward off bugs in the area, but it's tough to get all the black off the tree.

This tree receives full sun everyday (roughly 8a-2p). I thought citrus trees liked full sun? It would be difficult to move the tree (we have very limited space), but it might be possible to set up some kind of sun shade to filter the light. How much light would I want to block out?

imafan26
Mod

I think is bugs too. thrips and mites will scratch at the back of the leaf and can cause stippling and besides the graininess it looks like some sooty mold might be starting too. Pointing more toward sucking insects.

Citrus trees have a few sucking pests. Aphids, scale,mites, thrips, psyllid, and whiteflies.

Ants will farm aphid, scale and mealy bugs and protect them from their predators so put out terro outdoor ant bait near the base of the tree and apply tanglefoot around the trunk and reapply when necessary to act as barrier against ants.

This plant looks pretty small. Mix up a bucket of insecticidal soap and sulfur. Sometimes you can get a concentrated solution and dilute according to label instructions. It is OMRI listed and works on a variety of insects. Sulfur is also a miticide. Always read and follow label instructions an precautions. I mix up a 5 gallon bucket with 1 tbl per gallon of concentrate 3 in 1 spray. and water and 1 cup of alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Garden-Con ... entries*=0

First use a forceful jet of water under and betweeen the leaves to dislodge any pests. Do this somewhere isolated. You don't want them to just crawl into another plant. If the plant is small you can wipe each leaf with a sponge and inspect it to make sure it looks clean.
Use a bag to cover the pot so the media won't fall out and dip the plant head first in the bucket. Use a couple of slats of wood over the bucket to support the plant while it hangs for a minute or so. Leave it there a minute and wearing eye protection, take the plant out of the bucket and set it upright in the shade and let it drip dry. Keep it in the shade for the rest of the day then take it back out in the morning to its' normal location.

Continue to inspect the tree and repeat treatment every 4-7 days to make sure you get any pests that have remained or hatched in the meantime.

Return to “All Other Fruit”