Jray8

Ummm... What is this?

These grow all over my yard. I'm not sure if they are wild or if it's something the previous owner planted in one on the many overgrown gardens we removed.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Jim
Arnold, Maryland
Complete newbie with a black thumb. I can kill fake plants. :shock:

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Re: Ummm... What is this?

They're likely Indian Mock Strawberries. They have yellow blooms. They're edible, but taste like blah. They're an invasive species here in SC, and they're fairly difficult to remove.

If they have white/pinkish blooms, they may be wild strawberries or a small other variety. You'll be able to smell them, if so. They're pretty fragrant! And VERY tasty!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Jray8

Thanks Lindsay. I'll look for the blooms and see. Let's hope they're the tasty one.
Jim
Arnold, Maryland
Complete newbie with a black thumb. I can kill fake plants. :shock:

applestar
Mod

Yes, mock strawberry is related to potentilla and grows like a vine along the ground rather than a rosette of leaves and then runners from which baby plants grow in the case of true strawberries. They have tricked me more than once with their leaves looking very much like strawberry leaves. Plus these often look REDDER than any strawberry has the right to be. :lol:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

It's a shame they taste so crummy! We have them everywhere here! They are pretty thought! I think that they'd make a nice looking sunny ground cover!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”