pinksand
Greener Thumb

Choosing Hardy Kiwi Variety

I have 3 trellises on which I've been trying to grow Carolina Jessamine. We had warm temperatures early spring that encouraged early sprouting and then had a cold snap that killed all but one of the baby vine starts. I'm planning to move this poor vine and try out hardy kiwi! I think it will provide more privacy than the jessamine, which was my goal in placing the trellises.

I've been particularly seeking a male and female Arctic Beauty. The pink and white mottling on the leaves of the male are what drew me to this variety, however I'm not able to find any available locally. I've had some bad luck ordering plants online so I tend to avoid it if possible. I'm able to find 'Issai' which is supposed to be a self-polinating female or 'Anna' with a compatible male. I was holding out for Arctic Beauty but am starting to think I should just go with 'Anna' based on the description of the flavor of this particular fruit.

Does anyone have experience with any of these varieties? The vines I found locally all look exceptionally healthy, which is why I'm so tempted to give up on arctic beauty.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can buy kiwi plants locally?! In Maryland? Do you mind posting store?

I need to search more thoroughly around here!

I have an old clothes line that I have been unable to remove! It is right in front of my big garden! Quite the eye sore! But it would be LOVELY covered in hardy kiwi! And very useful as a crop as well! I have considered ordering from a really reputable catalog!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Yes! Behnke Nurseries carries the Issai self-pollinating variety and Sun Nurseries carries the Anna variety along with a compatible male. I think I'm going to be near Sun Nurseries this weekend so maybe I'll just go for it :-()

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Just an update - I ended up getting Anna and a compatible male. I love their red stems and I think they'll provide some good privacy once they've filled in more. The male is located in a rockier spot, but that's where it needed to be to climb the trellis :( It seems to be doing okay so far, but isn't showing the new growth that Anna has displayed.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've found that a lot of the asexually-reproduced males that are available are generally weaker and slower-growing. seems like they take off eventually, though.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the info !potatoes! I have no experience with them so it's helpful to hear about others experiences.

applestar
Mod

:-() By request from my DD1 to start growing our own kiwi "fruits", I just ordered Anna (Ananasnaya) and Dumbarton Oaks, with Meader as the male pollinator. Can’t wait to start growing them! :()

Return to “All Other Fruit”