AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Do ornamental Cherry trees produce cherries?

Might sound like a stupid question :lol:

Anyway, as many if you know, my husband is obsessed with a cherry tree he got (I have posted tons of questions regarding this tree), and we are thinking that the tree might be an ornamental Cherry tree (flowering cherry). Do these types of cherry trees produce cherries? I'm guessing yes because they are called cherry trees :>

I always see cherry trees everywhere in Canada. Most produce cherries but some don't.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

If those cherry-producing trees are ornamental Cherry trees, but somehow produce cherries, I could graft a tree branch from it to my cherry, right?

JONA
Greener Thumb

All fruits from cherries are edible.....but the fruit of the ornamentals are usually either very poor quality or in many varieties virtually non existing.
The same applies to the malus (Apple) family. Although in the case of apples some can have quite large fruits that if not exactly great to eat fresh are good for jam making or home made wine production.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We have three ornamental weeping cherry trees and in 5 years we have not had fruit develop. We also have ornamental weeping peach and one about three years ago had lots of very small woody peaches. All of these trees are covered with blooms every year and are very pretty.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What if I graft a branch of an actual cherry tree to my tree?

You mentioned that some ornamental cherries do produce cherries (but not very good ones), so what if I graft a branch from that cherry to my cherry tree?

Sorry about all the questions :) my husband really wants to get this cherry tree to grow cherries.

JONA
Greener Thumb

You can graft any sort of cherry to another if you want to.
There are plenty of sites on the Webb that will demonstrate the technique.
Main thing to remember is the donor scion or bud wood must be dormant and the recipient tree breaking into growth well.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you John! I wasn't sure if I could graft a cherry-producing branch to an ornamental Cherry :) nice to know. Thanks!

Return to “All Other Fruit”