Marta
Newly Registered

Worms in cherries -- what to do?

I have a problem with my tree of cherries, thiese is whit at least one worm each, in spite of I've put the pesticide. maybe I put insufficient pesticide, I don't know what to do. I accept advice and any idea.
thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

JONA
Greener Thumb

This is the larvae of the fruit fly Marta.
Problem is once they penetrate the fruit you can no longer get at them.
So...you have to stop mum from laying her eggs.
This means spraying the trees regularly ...certainly once every 10 days ...from end May through to mid July.
The adults live in the soil over the winter months and come out as the weather warms up in the spring.
Like most pests that get inside fruit, you need to have a protective spray already on the fruit when the adults start to lay.

Algida

One more thing: it's too late and not recommended to spray the trees now, when fruits ripened. Try thoroughly spraying the trees with an oil insecticide next year in late winter, or early spring and using an insecticide recommended for cherry fruit fly in March - April, after flowers fallen off.
Other helping methods: digging the soil around the tree in early spring and hanging fly traps in the tree in late April-May (rarely used).

Marta
Newly Registered

Thank you for that reply! this is for me very helpful, next year I will do my best.
Thank you again! :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”