invisiblegirl76
Newly Registered

Raspberry Problems

Picture of the plants.
Picture of the plants.
Hi. I live in zone 9b and planted raspberries about 5 years ago. They've never produced berries. For the last two years, I've pruned them, watered them, and fertilized them. They produce flowers and are covered with bees. And then... no fruit. This year it seems like it's producing one or two kernels of a berry, which I guess is a crumbly berry. Any idea what's going on here?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Tomatoe ring spot and dwarf bushy virus could cause the symptoms your canes are showing Invisiblegirl.
If after five years the plants are still not producing then it looks to me as if it may well be a virus problem.
If so...then I don't believe there is much you can do but remove the canes, burn, and re- Plant.

invisiblegirl76
Newly Registered

Thanks. I was afraid you would say that. How long would you say I should wait before I replant? Also, what other plants can get these viruses? I have tomatoes nearby.

JONA
Greener Thumb

If it is virus then really best if you can plant in a different place. Viruses can be persistent in the soil I'm afraid.
Buy canes that are labeled as virus free....not from friends gardens...as these are likely to have come virus present.
As to spreading to other plants..afraid it's a chance you have to take as there are no chemical controls available.
Burn the canes as you lift them and burn any weeds etc from the area too.
Viruses are very common in all garden plants, and usually we just get along without them proving any problem. It's only on the odd occasion that they get to be a nuisance.

Return to “All Other Fruit”