Detral

Will bees pollinate with homes in the way?

I recently planted a combination apple tree. It is supposed to self pollinate but does better with more trees.

1. My neighbor 2 doors down seems to have some crab apples. I read these can pollinate apples but will the house and spruce trees in the way block the bees?

2. I'm thinking of planting another apple in my backyard (this one is in my front). Will my house block the bees?

Thanks for any advice!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

. My neighbor 2 doors down seems to have some crab apples. I read these can pollinate apples but will the house and spruce trees in the way block the bees? NO

2. I'm thinking of planting another apple in my backyard (this one is in my front). Will my house block the bees? NO

wikipedia says: As a rule of thumb the foraging area around a beehive extends for two miles (3 km), although bees have been observed foraging twice and three times this distance from the hive.

There are many, many houses and trees and whatnot in that range...

Detral

Great thanks. I read they can travel 100 feet but wasn't sure if this was in an orchard with nothing blocking them between trees.

imafan26
Mod

Bees forage up to two miles away. They send out scouts to look for pollen and nectar sources. To increase the bee visits you can provide nectar and pollen plants for them all year as well as water and habitat.

The Xerces Society is a good website to learn about bees. They have plant lists for attracting polinators, not just bees. Just click on your region
https://www.xerces.org/pollinator-conser ... ant-lists/

Detral

imafan26 wrote:Bees forage up to two miles away. They send out scouts to look for pollen and nectar sources. To increase the bee visits you can provide nectar and pollen plants for them all year as well as water and habitat.

The Xerces Society is a good website to learn about bees. They have plant lists for attracting polinators, not just bees. Just click on your region
https://www.xerces.org/pollinator-conser ... ant-lists/
Thanks! I wasn't sure how they would know but that makes sense about the scouts. They are fascinating.

Return to “All Other Fruit”