Ben93

Bird friendly way to protect fruit trees.

What is a cheap easy way to protect fruit trees that's bird friendly I put up some stakes with netting but even though I tried to make it good a baby starling got caught up in it. Luckily I managed to gently cut it free an it flew off and the parents found it.

Any links to somewhere I can buy some bird friendly options that are not too expensive would be lovely. I like the birds visiting the garden but want my fruit intact too. They're only about 1.5 metres tall at the minute all dwarf trees in pots.

Ben93

https://www.aosom.co.uk/outsunny-walk-I ... GwodqHMBZg

Would that be ideal to keep a Stella cherry 2 apples and a pear tree in all year round? Easiest solution I can think of.

Ben93

CDs don't bother the birds as we feed them will the plastic walk in greenhouse make the trees too hot or will they be alright as it's only 50 pound and will fit all of them in it.

applestar
Mod

You don't want to use the plastic cover. It won't be good for the tree -- it can get really hot inside with direct sun on it.

Have you seen the pictures of our Birdscares?

This helps to some extent -- you need enough to cover all approaches though. They will try to sneak some fruits from where they think the scare can't "see" them.

I also arrange 3-5 ft lengths of old black soaker hoses and green garden hoses, sometimes with strategic hose connector "Heads" in such ways that they look like they are climbing up the trunk or laying across branches. These need to be moved often.

Ben93

I may try and make a bird scared I did end up getting a greenhouse thing that's plastic but it's like a faded one it's not crystal clear plastic it's a green off colour so doesn't magnify the sun and burn everything. So far the plants look happy in it got strawberries in there as well as the cherry tree apples as pear. I will see how they go in there.

Return to “All Other Fruit”