smokejumper
Newly Registered

PEAR TREES WITH BLACK DISCOLORED LEAVES?

Out of the 6 pear trees in my orchard I have 3 with black discolored leaves. This appeared at about the time I sprayed with orchard spray to protect against some bugs and some diseases. Did I do a bad thing? Is there another problem I should be looking for? Please help if you can.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Can you post a picture of the leaves? Do the leaves look more like its disease on them or that they are drying up?
After you attach a pic, I'm sure we could help!

smokejumper
Newly Registered

I'm not very technically adept. I'll try to post a picture. The blackened leaves looked normal at first except for the black "stains?" . Now the blackened leaves are beginning to curl. Hope this helps.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Might be a "Pear Leaf Curling Midge". They lay their eggs in the tree and the larva hatches and eats in the tree. This causes the leaves to darken and curl.

Use insect control tree spray is the best way to get rid of them.

Are all the leaves like that or only some?

applestar
Mod

What kind of orchard spray? Is it oil based? What kind of weather conditions when you sprayed and since?

Are the leaves at tip of branch in a cluster? Look like they are burned? Any other leaves getting spotty red?

JONA
Greener Thumb

I'd be more inclined to think you've got scab on your leaves....but a picture would be handy to confirm.
If it is scab then you need to get protective sprays onto your trees otherwise the fruit will get infected too.
There are no chemicals that can kill scab once it has infected the plant...all you can do is stop spores that land from germinating. So the sprays are protectants not Irradicaters.
Try for that photo..

Mhasan

I think I have the same issue, some of the leaves are curling and turning red. We've had a lot rain for several days. The tree was fine last year. This is the third year for the tree. It's an Asian pear tree that is suppose to have 4 varieties, but I've only seen two. Picture attached.
Also, the branches are growing inwards, and my husband doesn't believe me when I tell him we have to stretch the branches out and tie them so that grow outside in a proper tree shape. Please advise on these two points, thanks.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes there is some scab Mhasan..but I don't think it's scab that's causing that red
on the leaves.
That last photo shows typical damage caused by pear midge. Not enough to worry about though.
It may be that the constant rain has given the pears some wet feet! They should recovor ok.
Yes....get those branches outwards if you can. The more light that falls on the wood, the better the return bud will be.
One other tip with pears. They can get serious attacks of pear sucker. A very tiny incect that attaches itself to the underside of the leaf and sucks the juices out of the leaf. A sure sign of sucker is if you hear bees busy in your pears when there is no blossom. They are after the honeydew that the insects excrete.
If you get them...a good hoseing under the leaf will wash them off. That's why on wet summers you very rarely see them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”