smeiste
Newly Registered

Strawberry plant has reddish purple leaves

I've got a couple strawberry plants that have leaves that are turning a reddish purple color. It doesn't appear to be disease though. Any thoughts?

See pictures:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What variety is your strawberry plant? Some varieties do have red leaves, but those varieties are quite rare.
It's also very interesting how part of the leaves are normal green and the other are dark red :?
Anyway, if your strawberry plant variety is not one that is supposed to have red leaves, then the problem might be red stele root rot. This is generaly caused by poor drainage and way too sandy soil.

smeiste
Newly Registered

These are tuscana strawberries.

I don't think the soil is too sandy. It's just regular garden soil mixed with peat moss. It seems to hold the moisture pretty well, but it's a raised bed so drainage isn't an issue.

I've also got other strawberries in that bed that don't have red leaves.

imafan26
Mod

I get that sometimes when the new leaves come out in the sun. During the cooler months of the year the sun is weaker and strawberries can take full sun. When it comes to summer, the intensity of the sun increases and I move the plants to morning sun or partial shade. If the bed is out in the sun in summer I cover it with a light mulch like dried grass mulch or straw.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yes, as Imafan26 said, it is probably normal, as the leaves look healthy and strong.
I doubt it's something needed to be worried about. Unless they begin to have some fungusie stuff starting to grow on it.
Although this never happened to any of my strawberries, I have seen red leaves on strawberry plants in fields at u-pick berry farms that get more sunlight than at my garden bed. I guess imafan26 is right; it is just the sun.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I think they are just old worn out leaves . Fresh young leaf is growing well in the centre of the plant .....I would trim those leaves off as they can become the source of botrytis as they rot.

smeiste
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help! Sounds like I need to just let the plants be and maybe trim the old leaves.

Thanks!

Return to “All Other Fruit”