dickens0068
Newly Registered

Pomegranate plant wilting

Hi, I need help with my pomegranate plant. I had 5 plants growing in one container for quite a while, but transplanted all of them to individual pots a few days ago. I tipped over the pot to take out the plants, so it was bare rooted as I had to shake off the soil to separate the roots. I planted them immediately and watered, but this one is still wilted :eek: . All the others recovered the afternoon after transplanting and look to be healthy now. Does anyone know why this particular one is still drooping and how I can save it? Some of the leaves feel dry now.
IMG_20160502_212026.jpg
IMG_20160502_212007.jpg

applestar
Mod

It probably lost the main root it was depending on. Try cutting it back by 1/3 and keeping it in shade for a few days.

Don't overwater and make sure the soil is draining well. Pomegranate is drought tolerant and doesn't like soggy soil.

dickens0068
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:It probably lost the main root it was depending on. Try cutting it back by 1/3 and keeping it in shade for a few days.

Don't overwater and make sure the soil is draining well. Pomegranate is drought tolerant and doesn't like soggy soil.
Thanks for your reply. When transplanting, I checked the remaining soil and did not notice any major roots left - only tiny root hairs. I'll try cutting it back and see how it goes.

Also, it is going to be winter here and will rain quite often. What's the best way to avoid too much water whilst still getting enough sunlight?

dickens0068
Newly Registered

Sorry, had another question about my pomegranate plant. The new leaves (some old) are curling and twisted. Why is this happening?
IMG_20160507_112750.jpg
IMG_20160507_112838.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Hmmmm...looks like it's just under watered. How often do you water it? Pomegranate plants like water, you should definitely not let a tree so young stand without water for more than 3 days, essentially since it is in a pot.

I water my young 4 year old pomegranate trees every other day. My trees grow in huge 50 gallon pots, and the soil dries out exactly in 4 days, so I water them.

imafan26
Mod

It could also be thrips or aphids attacking the tips. they would cause distortions. Usually, with underwatering, the tips droop or the leaves wilt and should come back when it gets watered again. The tips usually dry up if they are repeatedly starved.

Return to “All Other Fruit”