rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

fig trees!

A friend send me some fig tree cuttings. They just looked like little dead sticks when I got them. I planted them and put them under humidity domes (made from one liter soda bottles cut in half) and they sat for a couple months.

Now look!
fig tree cuttings.jpg
fig tree cuttings2.jpg
:D

So maybe one day we will be eating peaches, apples, AND figs grown here on our half acre homestead!

imafan26
Mod

Just be careful where you put the fig. The roots are invasive. They take well to pots though and will give fruit even when they are small.

applestar
Mod

Oooh sooo cute! Don't you just want to baby-talk to them and encourage them to grow? :>

It must be so fun to have opened up the horizons of fruit and other edible plant choices you can grow in you garden. :D

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Nice, RG!

I have a fig in a half whisky barrel, think it makes a great ornamental. The fruit tends to drop before ripe, but that's probably my fault. I hope to do better this year.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I love fresh figs so much! I've been wanting to add them for so long! But they're $$$ to buy the potted ones!

Were your cuttings rooted or just sticks?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just sticks, no roots.

I kept them wrapped in moist paper towels for a couple days, then planted them in moist potting mix with the humidity domes over them. Did nothing but keep the soil damp and let them sit ... and sit ... and sit!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The fruit trees are the thing I have done so far that is most exciting, most feels like "homesteading." I guess that is because I never had space to grow fruit trees before, so all this is completely new to me.

The apple trees planted last fall have teeny baby apples on them now! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm finding keeping peaches and plums extremely frustrating at the moment! I hope you have a better go!!!

imafan26
Mod

Figs have to ripen on the tree pick them when they are soft to the touch. If they are falling off, you may be waiting too long. They will not ripen off the tree so you cannot pick them green. I usually have to get to mine before the birds do.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I expect I have a couple years (or more?) to wait before my teeny baby cuttings with two little leaves are producing any fruit!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yeah, it may take a while for the li'l ones to bear any fruit, but it's gonna we well worth it! :)
I've got one fig tree in my yard, it is almost 10 ft tall and is producing so many figs each year...infact I think we counted over 10 kg?!

applestar
Mod

Deducing from what I wrote in this thread: Subject: Container Fig Tree Care? -- Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter which was started in April of 2013, I think I bought the fig as potted cutting in a 6" pot previous fall -- presumably a cutting that was rooted earlier in the year, and it looks like it fruited a small crop in the summer, then a larger crop that ripened in the winter in the kitchen.

So it might be within realm of possibility that you will get some kind of first harvest next year. :-()

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yep - figs grow fast and fruit young.

Return to “All Other Fruit”