AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Is this normal for cherry trees?

My cherry tree had flowers from about the start of April until now (start of May). And the flowers are now all dried and shriveled up :cry: However one cherry finally showed up. Is this normal that the flowers last for such a short time and that only one flower became a cherry?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Anna
Blossom lasting a long time on most fruit trees is a sure sign of poor pollination.
The better the pollination the quicker petal fall occurs usually.
Just keep fingers crossed that more set fruit shows up.
Bad weather and cold nights all add to a poor pollination year.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

John, that is a great insight about the blossoms. I wasn't aware of that. I noticed blossoms didn't last as long on one particular apple tree this year and this explains it. In previous years, it was nearly the only one blooming on my property.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

JONA wrote:Hi Anna
Blossom lasting a long time on most fruit trees is a sure sign of poor pollination.
The flowers on my tree are dead but the petals haven't fallen off yet. Does this still mean it is has bad polination?

JONA
Greener Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:
JONA wrote:Hi Anna
The flowers on my tree are dead but the petals haven't fallen off yet. Does this still mean it is has bad polination?
You may have an attack of blossom blight Anna, or suffered damage from frost. Both these will cause the blossom to die and the petals to appear scorched or shrivelled.
Blight can occure if you've had a long wet period especially if it coincides with a warm spell.
Both will cause poor pollination as the developing pollon tubes will be damaged.

Return to “All Other Fruit”