drhugh
Newly Registered

Brown rot on peaches & cherries

I have Brown Rot on peaches and cherries. I carried out pruning, dormant spraying and collected all the leaves.

May I check the next step is spraying at flowering pink stage. Plus spraying after then – it is not clear on the internet. Would someone be kind enough to recommend a spray for this. I have used Wilson's Bordo but it keeps on blocking the spray nozzle (very annoying to unblock when you are up a ladder)

Any help would be much appreciated

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi drhugh,
I've tried to check up on what is available your side of the pond...but as far as I can see you are more or less stuck..like us here..with Bordeaux mixture.
It's essential though that sprays start pre- blossom as the fungi will sporulate that early if conditions are right.
There are other fungicides that are used on apples for brown rot but you need to check with your local garden centre to find what's available and what's cleared for stone fruit use.
You are obviously try to keep the area as clear as possible by removing damaged fruit and leaves etc.
It's essential that is done as mummified fruit can be a large source of infection carry-over.
Sorry I can't help more.

drhugh
Newly Registered

Thanks so much Jona, Sounded rational to me to start spraying at the bud stage. The buds are full on the cherries so spray now, just forming on the peach so spray when in full bud? Then repeat at flowering?

JONA
Greener Thumb

That's it dr
But....never spray at full bloom, even if the spray is harmless to bees. Any spray, even water, can effect the viability of the pollen. So avoid for a few days in that period. Come back in at 80% petal fall.

drhugh
Newly Registered

Thanks good advice, so spay at the first opening of the petals and then after 80% fall or just after 80% fall?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Start as soon as the buds break..then spray every 10 days or so up to the petals starting to open. Then re-start at 80% petal fall. During the fruit growing period spray every now and then when you get a prolonged wet and warm period.
Cease spraying a month before harvest.
Give another spray post harvest to try to stamp on any residue spores before winter shut down.

Return to “All Other Fruit”