mitzi56

Rasberries in florida?( zone 9aorb)

Has anyone succesfully grown rasberries in florida and actually produced fruit? I used to pick wil rasberries in canada so I have a hard time believing that they would grow well in this florida heat, but since they sell them here, I am trying my hand at it. I put them along a fence under some trees to avoid this hot burning sun and their actually looking pretty good this year ( yr 2) but no fruit yet! I'm using black cow as fertilezer and I have also tried other organic fertilizers. Any suggestions to get them to fruit? And when do the floida varities actually fruit? I havnt even seen a flower yet!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

So, I think you may like this post from a Florida Blogger! They talk about their experience growing raspberries and blackberries in Florida.

https://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/grow ... n-florida/

Raspberries are really cold hardy, and they need that extended period of consistent cold to get good budding. No chill means, no budding, means no fruit. They just ain't happy hot. Here in SC, Heritage and Cherokee are said to do well. Dorman Red is said to do well in even warmer regions, but I've heard they're no good for fresh eating. They taste weird... Good for jam, though!

I wish we could get the yellows to grow here. We had yellows in PA, and they were so good!

Return to “All Other Fruit”