sunlightsolace
Newly Registered

Avocado tree stems turning black and leaves with brown spots

So we bought an avocado tree a few years ago (I believe a Hass avocado tree but cant remember). I was very busy at the time and kind of neglected it in a pot outside. Every once in a while it would get watered but for the most part it was left to the environment :oops: . Well now I am getting back into gardening and have started taking care of it. It has a few leaves, most of them with brown spots and are wilted. The stems look like are turning black. There is some new growth with fresh leaves I can see, and for the first time, little avocados :-() ! I would love to save this tree but need to figure out what plagues it first! Please see the below pictures. I live in central florida and the tree gets about 6 hrs of sunlight a day. Now that the summer is here for the past few weeks I have been making sure to water it about 3 times a week. It is still in a large pot (with good drainage), and I know I should plant it in the ground but we plan on re-landscaping soon and would rather keep it in the pot for now. Though I do plan on transferring it to a larger garbage can sized pot. So the question is, what ails it and how can I fix it?! It seems to have withstand whatever it is for the past few years. Thanks!
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

A ph of 6.5 is ideal for avo...too low and browning can occur.
In a small container it's possible for salt levels to grow and cause the nutrients in the soil to be locked up from the roots. This also will cause leaf dessication at the edges.
If you are going to give it more root room with a larger container, then I think any time soon may be right.
Be very careful though to disturb the roots as little as possible.

applestar
Mod

I think the black stem could be sunburn. Has it always been in this location?

sunlightsolace
Newly Registered

Thanks for the responses! Yes, it has always been in this same location. Should I move it to a shadier spot you think? If moved to the shade it will get closer to 3-4 hrs of sun instead of 6hrs. Also, how can I check the pH/correct it?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Any garden centre will sell ph kits. They give easy instructions in how to measure your ph.
Low ph is easily corrected by adding lime to the soil. Your kit will tell you the amounts to add according to your acidity.

Return to “All Other Fruit”