ttarpcire

Air Layering a mature apricot tree?

I am wondering if this can be air layered. It is an old and "seen better days" apricot tree.
I am trying to save the DNA of the fruit before the tree dies and also it looks like a nice possibility for bonsai.
Any one have any thoughts?
Thanks
Attachments
AL-1-2.jpg

Rue Barbie

You mean air-layered where the red line is? Highly unlikely that would work. I've seen photos of a much younger actively growing fig tree that was 'lowered' by layering the main stem/trunk and replanting, but figs produce secondary roots very easily. Apricots don't.

If you want to try a layer on the tree to save its dna, try a younger branch/twig with some active growth.

Or you could try it and see what happens. If the tree is dying, nothing to lose other than your time and some supplies.

ttarpcire

So, apricots don't air layer well? If the live layer is only on half of the tree, does that matter? What time of the year would be the best time to try?

applestar
Mod

I don't know about air-layering apricot trees. But I was looking up if this is the right time of the year to try bud-grafting of a peach, and came across this information that maybe relevant to what you are trying to do -- save this particular tree (though this may not be what you want if you want that particular trunk and branch for bonsai, etc.)
Stone Fruit Propagation by Grafting & Budding - Fruit & Nut Research and Information Center Education

https://fruitandnuteducation.ucdavis.edu ... /grafting/

The most common method for producing finished trees is by budding fruiting varieties onto established rootstocks. Most peaches and nectarines are June budded from May to early June. Summer budding, from late July to September, is also common in peach and nectarine trees grown for retail nurseries because a tree with a larger caliper is produced. Spring budding of plum and apricot on fall planted hardwood cuttings of ‘Marianna’ plum produce a tree in 1 year. Plum is generally T- or chip budded in fall on ‘Myrobalan’ seedling rootstock.

ttarpcire

thank you for that link. that is good information. I have limited space so I was hoping to kill two birds basically. bonsai and save the dna all in one. But maybe I am trying to bite off to much?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

probably. air layering a mature trunk might be impossible (unless it were a willow).

Return to “All Other Fruit”