MattNJ77
Newly Registered

I think my fig is dying

Hello all,
I have had a "Brown Turkey" fig tree for the last 2 years. I have it in a whiskey barrel and have hibernated it in my garage. It recently began to bloom with light green/yellowish leaves, so I figured it was time to get it outside. The problem is that after I brought it outside it appears to be dying. I've watered it every other day and put some miracle grow in it but nothing seems to be helping.

When I purchased the tree it was a sapling and the information about it said it would be hardy down to 10 degrees. My concern is that given the early spring temperature here in NJ fluctuates there may have been some near freezing nights. Is it possibly that I killed the tree and if so , can I save it?
Attachments
fig1.JPG
fig2.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

I would just wait and see Mattn,
If it's been cut back by the cold then it will re- shoot again. You could cut back that leader a few inches to make sure that the wood is alive....but time will tell.
Figs are tough customers.

Rue Barbie

"" I've watered it every other day and put some miracle grow in it but nothing seems to be helping.""

Figs can be temperamental so it can be hard to tell what's going on. First, stop watering it. Without leaves it just doesn't need much, and with too much water, the roots can rot. Don't water again until either new leaves are growing or the soil feels dryish (not totally dry). And don't add any more fertilizer until new leaves begin growing again.

If the stem or buds are either still green or firm, I wouldn't cut anything off. If it begins to grow again, you can always trim away anything that did not survive.

Be patient. Sometimes less is more. :)

MattNJ77
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the advice! How long should I wait to see new growth?

Matt

JONA
Greener Thumb

If it's been cut back by the cold Matt , it should re-shoot in just a few weeks at most.

Return to “All Other Fruit”