sylvainkalache
Newly Registered

Olive tree pruning

Hello crew,

I am looking for advices on pruning my olive tree. I've read a lot on it but I'm still very sceptical that I would make the correct decision. It's a indoor olive tree, few years old, I want it to more condensed.

I'm am leaning toward cutting it like this, the top branch is to heavy for the tree and I don't want it to me tall but dense. Does it does reasonable?

Thank you :D

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi silvainkalache.
To keep your olive down to a relatively small size you will have to prune it back as you suggest. Then as the new growth starts around the tree keep trimming back so the it bushes into the shape you want. They respond well to pruning this way.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Pruning it like you illustrated would work. However because you are cutting off so much, you might want to apply melted bee wax where you made the cut. At least that's what I do :) Anyone else does this?

applestar
Mod

If I was cutting that much off, I would research to see if it's possible to root olive from cuttings.... :()

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Exactly, Applestar! :) Then you'd have two of 'em. Haha

sylvainkalache
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your advices.
applestar wrote:If I was cutting that much off, I would research to see if it's possible to root olive from cuttings.... :()
That's funny because I am actually trying that :-()

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

So how did it work?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The fun thing about propagating trials, is if the last trial doesn't work wait a year and try something else...

Return to “All Other Fruit”