TreeSpirit28

I need help with my Raspberry and Strawberry plant

(I understand that this is for a fruit question so please ignore the minor part about the pea plant.)

I have recently started a small garden of which all my plants are in containers.
I am growing 1 green bell pepper plant, 1 red bell pepper plant, 1 gourmet orange bell pepper plant, a ghost pepper plant, 1 Roma tomato plant, 6 cherry tomatoes, 1 yellow pear tomato plant. 1 sugar baby watermelon, 1 cantaloupe, 1 Italian Parsley, 1 peppermint, 6 crooked neck yellow squashes, 6 cucumber, 6 zucchini, 6 sweet corn, over 20 radishes, 6 onions, 1 tom thumb pea plant, 2 strawberries, 1 raspberry.

I live in Phoenix Arizona and I know people who have grown all this here before but are unreachable for help. they are planet in my back yard up against the house my backyard is a east facing yard so that they don't get the hot afternoon son just the morning till about noon then they have shade.

Well my concern and my problem is that my strawberries were extremely happy before I transplanted them into a deep above ground planter box about 20 inches deep and after a divider the Raspberry is planted in its own space but in the same planter box. My strawberry about 1-2 days after transplanted it started drying out on some of the tips of its leaves. They don't turn yellow first they start to shrivel and then brake like thin chips if touched. They are also very droopy. where before they were thriving. Also my raspberry in the same bed is doing the same thing it was about to start blooming before it was transplanted and now the really green thriving bush is all drying out every leaf is crumbling.

I was watering everything once a day. because the heat dry's the soil out. also the top soil will be super dry but about an inch down its moist not very wet but you can see that its darker and a little moist -- is it not moist enough should I make sure that I keep watering daily due to them all being in containers. Each container is able to drain well. All my other plants are doing extremely well with the exception of my strawberries, raspberry and my pea plant that I will get to in a minute.

The fertilizer I bought was Kellogg's brand called Patio Plus for above ground planters and container gardening for both flowers and vegetables it was recommended to me, but is it giving my raspberry and strawberry what they need or is it to harsh on them. Its nice because its an all natural fertilizer and 5.97 a bag so that I can afford it in large quantities. I haven't fed the garden yet.

With the exception of my strawberries and the raspberry plant all the others were planted about 2 1/2 weeks ago and about 4 days for the strawberries and raspberry. I have since put up a shade cloth in front of the raspberry thinking it was getting to much sunlight. I would really appreciate and help I can get. This garden is making my husband and I so happy but we are heart broken at what has started happening.

Now for the Pea plant its growing and blooming but the bottom of part of the plant started turning yellow about 2 days ago. (not enough water?)....... Thank you everyone in advance. I am going to try an upload photos below. - ........ I have also watered the plant itself I thought it would like its leaves wet, was that wrong?

Here is a link to some pictures so that you can see the plants in question.

https://s1144.photobucket.com/user/kodak ... t=3&page=1

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Walthree
I think that the basic problem for your plants is the fact that you transplanted them at the worst possible time....just as they are in the greatest demand for water as they come up to cropping.
No matter how careful you transplant a plant the roots are going to take a couple of weeks to settle down and start to feed properly.
The only time this would not happen is if the plants were growing in a pot first and no soil was disturbed on transplanting.
Roots need to replace the water that the leaves are losing through transportation. Any deficit will cause the scorching and desiccation that you are seeing.
Keep the watering up and give the plants a chance to fully recover.

TreeSpirit28

Thank you very much john. That makes a lot of since. I have upped my watering and am hoping to be able to save them

Kels

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Kels
Many apologies for miss-naming you on that last post.
Just one thing I would add.
If you find that the dessication gets much worse and the plants look in real trouble then I'm afraid you may have to take the bull by the horns and cut your plants back to relieve the pressure on the plants.
It's why when planting rasps and strawberries in the early spring growers will cut the plants hard to give them the best chance of rooting well.
Hopefully you will not have to resort to such a drastic action....but keep it in mind if the worse happens.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I don't like to fertilize newly planted fruit plants. I give them time to grow new roots and get established first. And yes, when they are flowering is the absolute worst time to transplant them. At the very least they lose their flowers and forming fruit.

Return to “All Other Fruit”