Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

STRAWBERRIES!....I need to know what kind

I am planning to add some strawberries this year, and I look forward to it.

although I have grown them way back when, this will be my first venture in more than 20 years

I used to grow a variety called BLACK BEAUTY....but times have changed and I can't seem to find them

so, my question...do any of you have any thoughts about what variety will do well in Tenn.....or nearby states

I want, first of all, flavor....that should be obvious to you, since you are on this website, and growing our own veg and fruit has always been first and foremost about flavor

however, I have heard that you will get optimum production of fruit if you get a variety that is good in your area

so, that is what I am looking for....great taste and good production in my area

how about OZARK BEAUTY?....I have looked at several sites and these seem to always get great reviews

any thoughts or observations, as always, much appreciated

/s/ DAVE

imafan26
Mod

I haven't seen Ozark Beauty in years. Now, the most common one is seascape. It is everbearing and makes a good sized berry that is sweet. It is not as big as Ozark Beauty and makes fewer runners than Albion which is a slightly bigger berry and I think it is sweeter.

Nyan

Lonesomedave, I live about 100 miles south of you, and I am a big time fan of Allstar strawberries.

They are large, sweet and firm, with very vigorous plants. Not as deep red as some others, but they are early and bear very well for me.

I found that many other varieties (especially everbearing) just couldn't handle the heat and humidity here without turning mushy or having mold and rot problems.

They do put out a lot of runners, which is good if you want to expand the bed. Otherwise, you will want to thin them after 2-3 years so the berries don't get stunted by overcrowding.

imafan26
Mod

June bearing strawberries need the short days of fall to set fruit. They only produce one crop a year but they are usually bigger than the everbearing strawberries which do not require photoperiod to produce fruit. Although everbearing strawberries are usually smaller they have more fruit over an extended time.
https://strawberryplants.org/2011/01/sho ... ry-plants/
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-46.pdf

Lonesomedave

well....I decided on two varieties.....Honeyoye and Ozark Beauty

talked to some people and they said good selection....ozark beauty are everbearing and Honeyoye are june bearing

got 50 of each and am waiting on them to be delivered

/dave/

Lonesomedave

yippeeee....speak of the devil....

I had no sooner made my last post than the mailman delivered my strawberry plants.

planting tomorrow!

/dave/

Mr green
Green Thumb

I grow the honeyoye and its somewere from good to very good (mixed up my three kinds) :D A good strawberry to me is usually a very good one for most people.

I only have the Ones you call June bearing ones, how far south can you grow theese?

But nothing beats the wild native wild strawberries, I have them here and there in my garden and as far as flavor goes they sure are king! Very small compared to the cultivated variety of strawberries, and even most cultivars of wild strawberries. I grew one called Rügen under my blueberries, but they were very tasteless.

I only have the Ones you call June bearing ones, how far south can you grow theese?

Lonesomedave

well...I was not sure how to answer your question....you know, I thought, if you're from sweden, I would have thought you'd want to know how far NORTH you could grow them... :mrgreen:

anyway, I looked them up on stark bro's website and found the Honeyoye were rated for 3-8 on the usda plant hardiness map and the Ozark Beauties were rated 4-8

on the USDA map, zone 8 is WAY down south...it encompasses most of Louisiana, alabama, georgia, texas & mississippi....it encompasses a bit of florida

so, if that is your worry, worry not, my brother

as I am in nashville, I am alright according to the map

did that help?

and, btw, did get all my new plants in the ground this weekend...had some help....have somewhat crowded them, but plan to cut off all runners.....I figure a hundred plants for our little suburban garden will produce a lot of fruit.

don't plan on much this year, but, with cutting off the runners, the plants should grow more vigorously, and by next year, should have a bumper crop

/s/ dave

Mr green
Green Thumb

I see, my original "knowledge" was that they are cold winter loving plants and didnt grow well in warmer climates. Obviously not completely true! I believe you can grow them anywere in Sweden except northen mountain areas.
Honeyoye is btw one of the most resistent strawberryplants they claim.

You can crowd them pretty good, the suckers fast get out of hand beware!

Return to “All Other Fruit”