customfab
Newly Registered

TX Peach & Plum Tree Pics - Need Spray & Care Advice

We recently moved out to 12 acres in Dripping Springs and have been blessed to have a small orchard of about 18 fruit trees. We are not totally clear about the types but know we have several peaches and a few plums and possible others. But for now, I'm most concerned with a few trees (peaches & possible our 2 plum trees). Pink vs White flowers.

Our peach trees are either in the petal fall stages with forming fruit or completely past petal fall. We have 5 of these trees.

I also have two larger trees that are in near full bloom with white flowers (I'm assuming these are plum trees).

I've posted some pictures and am hoping I can get experienced advice back on what pests may be present. I have not sprayed anything at this point due to the blooms and protection of bees. After many hours of research, I did purchase Bonide Fruit Tree and Concentrate Plant Guard in anticipation of my 1st spray once full petal fall has been achieved across my trees.

1) We have noticed very small holes across most the leaves that are presented themselves. These are mainly "pin hole" size. Some slightly larger.

2) Some of the early stage peaches are showing sap oozing out.

3) Some of the early stage peaches are appearing to grow like siamese twins. I have one tree in particular that has fruit forming all over the tree and maybe 25% appears to be "siamese" or two-headed peaches. This tree is near end stages of petal fall and beginning of fruit formation.

4) Finally, I'm hoping to get general advice on removing any fruit (due to over production) and thinning things outs.

I did prune all my trees about 2-3 weeks ago.

Overall, I hope we can harvest some fruit this year. I understand the extremely mild winter was not ideal in terms of chill hours. And frankly, this is strictly a learning year for myself and family so I don't have too high of expectations.

Thank you so much so your insight!!!!

PEACH FRUITING PICTURES:

PEACH - LEAVES

FINALLY BLOOMING TREE WITH WHITE FLOWERS (PLUM?)

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi customfab,
Look up 'Shot hole disease' to see if this is a similar symptom of your trees leaves.
Peaches do seem to throw twin fruits at times. On most occasions the tiny twin will not develope fully and will drop off later in the year. If not, you can often remove them when it comes to thinning out the crop although. any that fully develope are still tasty fruits....if not commercial!
As regards thinning...on peaches try to thin to spaced singles. Two peaches growing together make for difficult picking as they damage easily at that point...especially if you pick at full ripeness.
With plums thinning is essential on heavy crop years to avoid bi-annual production as well as ensuring good sized fruit. Thin by removing some of the fruit from under the branches where they are in the shade anyway. Thin thick clumps of fruit to make sure you get good size. Commercial growers often thin to singles ...but it takes time!
If you suffer from plum moth maggots...then the spray to combat that must be applied very soon after petal fall while the newly forming plums are at a very early stage of development. It's at this point that the eggs are laid and the hatching maggots get inside the fruit. Later sprays can't get at them!.
Peach leaf curl can be controlled by sprays of copper sulphate.( the old Bordeaux Mixture). This can be a problem on wet years.
That damaged peach looks like bird damage. Guess it thought it might be tasty..then found that at that stage..it ain't!

Return to “All Other Fruit”