SarahTheMascara

White fruiting mulberry

Any west coast Canadians out there that know where I can find a mulberry with white fruit? I've been looking for almost two years. I've only located seedlings on the island and one tree over in Quebec. I'd prefer to stay local but I don't know where else to ask. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
:)

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Sarah..
Found this nursery that sells the white ones....but I don't know how far they are from you.
whitletreefarmandnursery.can

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I followed your lead JONA but it is actually whiffletree https://www.whiffletreefarmandnursery.ca/

and they do offer various mulberries including "white persian mulberry" https://www.whiffletreefarmandnursery.ca ... ry&Submit=

they are located north of Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario so eastern not western Canada....

SarahTheMascara

Ah looks like they are all out of stock. I found one tree in Quebec but it's quite pricey. Other than that I've only found seedlings but from what I was reading online it is quite a few years until I would have any fruit from a seedling. What to do, what to do.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Because they are out of stock now, does not mean they will be once they get all their spring shipment in. I would contact them and see if they expect to get more in the spring. You couldn't plant it now anyway.

But there is no such thing as instant fruit. You are going to have to resign yourself to taking care of a tree for a few years before you see any fruit. That is in the nature of fruit trees. Whiffletree says they send one to two year old bare root trees. That would be saplings. They probably will not bear fruit for two or three (or even four depending on how well it does) years after you get them.

Even if you could find or afford larger more mature trees, that does not work well. They don't ship well and they don't transplant well. You are just as likely to spend a ton of money on a large tree only to have it die on you.

SarahTheMascara

That hasn't been my experience with fruit trees thus far. I have wide variety orchard of about 30 trees. About 20 of them were planted within the last 3 years and produced fruit right away. I've been removing most of the fruit on the first year trees (some second year too) and leaving a few sample pieces which I tie up to stakes to keep the stress off the branch.
I've never tried shipping a more mature tree, so that's a really good point about the stress of shipping on the tree. Not sure what to do!
I'll contact them about their spring shipment and see what they have coming :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”