A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Pear "seedling"! Update

Remember those four pear seedlings I had? Read the below thread if not.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=60893
Well, out of those four I now have an unlikely, strong survivor: the one that lived the first three weeks of its life in an airtight jar with only the soil it was in and some water. Once it outgrew the jar I put it outside. It's inside for the winter now. Enjoy my former seedling!
Attachments
Tree
Tree

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Cool!

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

j3707 wrote:Cool!
Thanks! :mrgreen:
You can check out my post about a new Apple seedling too in the same forum too. :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

hope it makes it. most pears want a cold season in the winter - keeping it in leaf year-round, it may not like. consider leaving it out next winter.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:hope it makes it. most pears want a cold season in the winter - keeping it in leaf year-round, it may not like. consider leaving it out next winter.
This pear did lose its leaves inside; it grew new ones. Ok, I might leave it out next year. I only really cared for it in the winter :lol: --I left it to nature all spring, summer, and fall. I knew it was pretty hardy, since it grew up in that jar. It was in a sorry state when I brought it in--leaves full of holes, a few bottom leaves browning and falling...The leaves you see now are all inside-grown.

applestar
Mod

I might merge this with the previous thread to keep the history in same place....

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Hm, IDK Apple. So you were saying Callery is an Asian pear?

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Big news!!! My "firstborn" first sprouted pear tree (which I was SURE was dead. all leaves turned black and fell off and the tree was not watered for a whole YEAR!) came back to life! I suddenly watered it after noticing that the stem still bent when I tried to dig it up and plant something else in the pot. After a couple of days, the thing made leaves! It lost a year in some form of dormancy, but might yet catch up with our original survivor. The reason this is huge news is that no one else has a pear tree I can pollinate with and since these will grow up together, if they both make it then they can cross pollinate.

AHS

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

How amazing! :) congrats! Did you grow them from seed?

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:How amazing! :) congrats! Did you grow them from seed?
Thanks! Yes, from seed. Now I have two :)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Cool! :) I'm currently trying to germinate some pear seeds (inspired by your threads) and was wondering if you kept them in the fridge for cold stratification before planting them in dirt. Did you?

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:Cool! :) I'm currently trying to germinate some pear seeds (inspired by your threads) and was wondering if you kept them in the fridge for cold stratification before planting them in dirt. Did you?
I kept the seeds in a cup of water in the fridge for 4 days before planting. Be patient. They can take up to 3 weeks to sprout after planting. This does not mean the seeds died...

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

And did it grow indoors? Or outdoors? If outdoors, was it summer?

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

I planted them in cups and kept on windowsill until spring. In spring, I placed them in large pots and put them outside. If you put them out in spring, by winter they'll be tough enough to make it through the winter left outside.

Return to “All Other Fruit”