banana123
Newly Registered

Cold Hardy Citrus

Hey everyone, I'm in 7b NC and the biggest concern I have here is that our weather is so moody plants will start blooming one day and next day the frost will wipe them out. I've currently lost 5 fruit trees and am quite upset. I've been seeing a lot more fruit trees advertised as cold hardy such as citruses (lemons and tangerines). I was wondering what your experiences with them have been so far?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I have never grown citrus and maybe shouldn't be responding, but here in my zone 7b growing citrus outside wouldn't be an option. Maybe there are some really cold hardy citrus that have been developed that could survive here, if so, I'd love to know about them. I think zone 7b means an average extreme minimum temp of 5 to 10 degrees or somewhere thereabouts. Are your plants in pots and being brought in at night?

Francesco Delvillani

Some Poncirus trifoliata hybrid can resist in 7b, the problem is that the fruit is not as cold tolerant as the tree and it ripens too late....so you can lose the fruit or eat them unripen.
For the not hybrid the hardiest is Satsuma....in 7b, planted on the south-facing wall, could grow and live..

Return to “All Other Fruit”