Ms108
Newly Registered

Is this a gigantic sucker on my dwarf eureka lemon?

I bought this dwarf eureka lemon yesterday

...and when I got home I noticed that what I thought was eureka scion may actually be a giant sucker that was allowed to grow out of control? Is there any way to identify if one of those two growths is a sucker? Thanks!
Last edited by applestar on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to display photo in-line.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Suckers usually come up from the ground or from the trunk right at ground level. Why don't you think the trunk just branched?

Ms108
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Suckers usually come up from the ground or from the trunk right at ground level. Why don't you think the trunk just branched?
It is a grafted dwarf, so it looks like it may have grown directly below the graft and been left. It's hard to tell. I'm suspect because every other dwarf citrus from this company I've seen has only 1 trunk.

imafan26
Mod

If the sucker is coming from below the graft. You will be able to find the graft scar on the trunk then it is probably from the rootstock. The leaves of the roostock usually look different from the Eureka lemon so just cut it off at the base.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

agreed - you should be able to see the graft scar. lower branch originating below the graft = sucker from the rootstock. lower branch originating above the graft = grafted variety.

that branch looks high enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a branch from the scion, based on other grafted fruit trees, but I don't know citrus - maybe they're grafted higher. the graft for most fruit trees is frequently just above the soil line.

imafan26
Mod

Citrus trees can be grafted anywhere especially if you want to do a double graft of say a lemon and a lime, but it is true most grafted trees of any kind is grafted near the base of the tree and the scion usually only has one branch initially. All suckers growing below the graft come from the rootstock and should be removed.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

So what do the leaves of the root stock look like? I've got 2 dwarf potted citrus that have branches that have 3 small leaflets instead of the single large leaf like my seed grown tangerine tree does. Those branches are pretty high up on the plant (6 inches or so above the rootball) and I can't see anything that looks like a grafting scar. (assuming it's similar to a rose graft which has a swollen looking area)

applestar
Mod

Three small leaflets sound like Trifoliate orange which is often used as root stock to confer cold hardiness.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Well, pooh. Then the little grafted "good" part is terribly dwarfed by the rootstock "bad" sucker part. Explains a lot. Guess I'll have to trim those 2 waaaaayyyy back and hope for the best.

applestar
Mod

This thread has photos of my Trifoliate orange 'Flying Dragon' -- it has specialized contorted branches and claw-like hooked thorns, but the leaves should be the same as the standard. "Flying Dragon' is often used as rootstock to add dwarfing as well as cold hardiness.
:arrow: Subject: My Flying Dragon Trifoliate Orange Is blooming! >> fruiting!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Yep, the leaves and the thorns are the same as what is on part of my grafted plants. Thanks for the info. A drastic cut-back will be scheduled for those 2 plants.

Return to “All Other Fruit”