GibHumus
Newly Registered

Need advice on pruning two neglected pear trees

Hi y'all. My parents have these two pear trees, which they planted about 4 to 5 years ago. As you can probably tell from the photos, they have never pruned them. One of them (the one in the second and third pics) basically has about 4 main branches and a lot of secondary branches that are growing almost straight up, with very little branching coming from them. This tree did produce pears for the first time this past summer, but they were very bland. I almost feel like cutting those upright branches way back (60% or more) but from what I've read, it seems that could be a bad idea. I am not as concerned about the other tree (in the first pic), since it was planted too close to the house and may have to grow quite tall to ever produce fruit anyway. Any advice on either tree would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN5042.JPG
DSCN5041.JPG
DSCN5040.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Gib.
Funny enough your first tree is the one that will be easier to get into line with your wishes.
If you took the whole centre branches out of that tree down to five foot or so , leaving the outside branches that are growing from lower down you will finish with a nice open centre tree. The branches left can then be pulled down to 45degree angles to slow return growth up and with spur pruning along their length they would crop well.

The other one is more difficult because it is less well furnished with low side branches.
Pears are quite happy to be hit hard....providing you don't cut into old wood that is past carrying dormant buds.
I would bring it down to about the third branch branching up from the trunk crutch.
Re-growth could then be controlled by either tying or spur pruning.
A lot depends on the variety as to what pruning system to use. The larger the type of pear the harder pruning is normally done. As large pears need stronger more stable branches as they are easily blown off in strong winds if the branch can swing about a lot.
Good luck.

GibHumus
Newly Registered

Thanks very much for the information, John. On the second tree, I'm not sure I understand. What I think you're saying is that you would cut it all the way down to the terminus of the third main branch (I.e. removing about 60% of the tree's height, leaving the tree about 6' tall). Is that right? Thanks! -Clay

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes Clay,
That's what I would do myself.
It really depends on what size tree you want to finish up with.
If you want to get the tree down so that it eventually gets to around 10-12 ft or so, then you have got to bite the bullet and bring the whole thing down to a workable start line.
I know it looks drastic. But....just tipping away at twigs and branches will only produce more growth at the top of the tree.
Once down to the lower level, re-growth can be trained do much easier.

GibHumus
Newly Registered

OK, thanks again! I'm prepared to take drastic action; the trick will be convincing my parents. :)

catgrass
Green Thumb

Gib, before you start chopping-you might want to contact the LSU Ag center and see what they suggest. I,myself, am totally against topping any tree-it mostly makes an ugly mess if not done properly. For sure, take out any crossing branches and those that grow totally upright from a branch-they are weak. Also, even though you said it bore fruit, is it a producing pear or an ornamental? Ornamentals will make a pear, but it will stay small and hard.

Return to “All Other Fruit”