Renato Teodoro
Newly Registered

Insects on the roots of my baby tree

Hello, everyone!

I will start saying that english is not my native language, so, sorry if I find it hard to express myself, especially with gardening expressions, which we don't use in other languages often.

Last week I got myself a baby Pitanga or brazilian cherry tree (Eugenia uniflora). It was in a bonsai pot, although it is not a bonsai, just a baby tree, so I transplanted it to a bigger pot so it could grow a little bit.

In the process, I noticed a lot of little white eggs in its roots and some very little white insects, which I believe are mealybugs:

I had nothing to intervine, so I just continued the process, removed some roots and hoped for the best. I think I should have washed the roots, but at the time I was afraid I could hurt the tree too much.

Anyway, now it has been 5 days since the process and I'm looking for ways to get rid of mealybugs on roots, but can't find anything. I bought a insecticide called Dimy, it's formula is DDVP 200 ce and I'm thinking in diving my plant in a solution with it for some time. Do you think it would work?

Can somebody help me?

Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

Actually repotting might have been the best thing to do for it. If the tree is healthy and happy in its new pot it should be able to fend of the invaders. It is hard to control insects at the base and near the roots because they are hard to get to.

When you repot you can wash off whatever you can and cut off dead and infested roots. Repot in new media and a clean pot.

You can use alcohol on a cotton swab to remove mealy bugs that you can see.

Control ants, they will harbor and protect the pests

A soil drench will work, but I am unfamiliar with the product you are using. It is probably best to read the label. Make sure it kills the pest you are looking for and that it is safe to use as a soil drench for your plant.

Here I would probably use imodicloprid as a soil drench. The plant is too small to produce fruit for years and imodicloprid will last at least a year. I would have to isolate the plant until it is healthy to keep the mealy bugs from transferring to other plants.

Renato Teodoro
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Actually repotting might have been the best thing to do for it. If the tree is healthy and happy in its new pot it should be able to fend of the invaders. It is hard to control insects at the base and near the roots because they are hard to get to.

When you repot you can wash off whatever you can and cut off dead and infested roots. Repot in new media and a clean pot.

You can use alcohol on a cotton swab to remove mealy bugs that you can see.

Control ants, they will harbor and protect the pests

A soil drench will work, but I am unfamiliar with the product you are using. It is probably best to read the label. Make sure it kills the pest you are looking for and that it is safe to use as a soil drench for your plant.

Here I would probably use imodicloprid as a soil drench. The plant is too small to produce fruit for years and imodicloprid will last at least a year. I would have to isolate the plant until it is healthy to keep the mealy bugs from transferring to other plants.
Thank you very much for your reply. I did what you said with my insecticide (it was labeled as effective to all kinds of insects).

It seems that my plant has survived the process of being submerged into the insecticide. It has been only a few days since I did the process, but it seems to be well.

If I notice my plant is having some kind of trouble I will update this post to prevent people from doing what I did.

Return to “All Other Fruit”