danstan91
Newly Registered

Gross brown gooey infestation of Lemon plant leaves!

Hi all,

I've this lemon plant that I grew from seed about 5 years ago now. It was doing beautifully until very recently when it started to become infested by bugs that I can't identify...

The bugs are fat and brown stationary, usually I find them underneath the leaf or on the stem where it joins the leaf. When they're young they're a pale brown and easily squishable, but as they get older they develop a tough shell. It's almost like they're gooey things that dry out and go hard with age.

We've had this problem for about a year now, my dad and I would spend hours literally wiping these creatures off the leaves whenever I'm home (this plant is currently back at my parents house as I'm renting but I'm planning to take it whenever I buy my own place..)

I'm pretty attached to this plant, I grew it from seed just before I left for uni and now, five years later, I'd be really sad to see it go. Can anyone help me identify these critters and how to get rid of them?

Thanks!

danstan91
Newly Registered

You can see the bugs here.
Attachments
IMG-20151019-WA0004.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Probably aphids. Insecticidal soap or neem oil or even a strong blast of water will do the trick. However, to keep them from coming back you also need to set out ant bait. I use terro outdoor antbait and I set the trap at the base of the tree. You can also use tanglefoot but it collects dirt and debris so it needs to be reapplied to act as a barrier. Ultimately, the bait is a better choice since killing workers is futile, you really need to kill the queen to control the ants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking it is scale insects (citrus trees have their own varieties of scale insects called citrus scale pest).

Similar, and both scale insects and aphids emit the sweet sticky ("gooey") exudate called honeydew. And ants like that and will "farm" both of them. But some varieties of scale insects form hard shells. This makes insecticidal soap ineffective against them.

Neem oil and horticultural oil will work against them. It also works just to touch each one with cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.

After you get rid of the scale insects, you need to use soapy water to wash off the honeydew and then rinse well. And then you do need to be sure ants don't bring any more back.

imafan26
Mod

You may be right. My citrus trees usually have brown aphids more than scales. But they are hanging around the stems and midrib of the leaf more than anywhere else. And I am also used to seeing scales lined up end to end and not so much spread out. Neem or horticultural oil will work on them if they are covered well. Insecticidal soap can be effective in the crawler stage.

Return to “All Other Fruit”