Partho
Newly Registered

Mango tree bark cracking

I have 6 year old mango tree in Sydney Australia. In last 6 months the bark is cracking (picture attached). Does anybody know how to overcome this? Tree is otherwise healthy and gives fruit. Cracking is only on the western side which is more exposed to sun. Would appreciate any help!
Attachments
Mango tree with cracked bark
Mango tree with cracked bark

imafan26
Mod

Older mango trees here often have cracked bark but young trees are smoother. Weather can cause issues. Mangos like it hot and cannot tolerate a freeze. If you have a monsoon followed by dry weather the bark can crack. Since your tree is only cracking on one side more than the other, I am assuming it is the side that is facing the sun. If the tree has a good spreading canopy it usually protects the bark, but if your trunk is exposed to the sun, it can crack from sunburn. A tree wrap will help that but won't fix the cracking that is already there.

Partho
Newly Registered

The cracking is on the western side which gets most sun. You may be right about the weather changes causing it. The cracking started at the end of the summer (which is Feb/March) but we had colder than usual winter and also lot of rainy days; maybe this caused further problems. I just hope there are no long term problems with the growth and fruiting of the young tree.

applestar
Mod

Maybe you could whitewash/paint the trunk to protect from the sun? I've read that avocados which are sensitive to sunburn/scald are painted. It's also recommended for fruit trees like apple.

Does that work for mango?

Partho
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestion!

Francesco Delvillani

But, how is the plant apart the bark? Is it suffering? does it have yellow leaves? is it ill?

Partho
Newly Registered

Sorry for late reply. Tree is otherwise quite healthy. Has been giving fruits. It is now flowering (as it is spring) and I am expecting fruit in the summer. Leaves are generally green and healthy although some have dropped off early.

Return to “All Other Fruit”