applestar
Mod

Re: Fruit Harvest from season to season

Daily strawberry harvest for the past week (strawberries are floating in 2 gallon bucket of water)

applestar
Mod

It depends on the fruit and how well they do from year to year, but typically, the fruits are offered to my two daughters to eat fresh as much as they want, and what they don’t eat gets frozen, especially short storage like these Wild strawberries (they turn mushy in 6 hours). Some fruits like figs and persimmons never make it to the freezer. :wink:

The frozen fruits are used for smoothies. I get over abundance of blackberries so those are processed into juice, sauce, baked goods in addition to best and perfect ones that are frozen for later use.

Since I have fruits that are in season practically the entire growing season, I hardly ever have to buy fruits during the growing season... only what I don’t grow, or what I can’t store fresh due to special storage needs. My dd’s live on fresh fruits all summer.

applestar
Mod

Today’s harvest with smattering of cherries (which didn’t do well this year) and a few beginning to come in red Prelude raspberries:

...The harvested berries half-filled the 10.5 inch wire basket exactly like this on Monday... a little bit less yesterday only because I gave about 3/4 pint to a neighbor.... I’m starting to get groans rather than cheers from my DD’s who are tasked with removing the stem end and freezing what they don’t eat fresh.... :lol:

When it gets to this point, I don’t need to hesitate to save the best ones for them, and eat my fill of the berries, too even the reddest red ones and big ones. :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”