HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Howden-Baby Bear Hybrid???

Howden-Baby Bear hybrid???
I have pumpkin vines growing from my compost pile and pumkins are now forming. Last years pumpkins were Howdens and Baby Bears. I harvested some pumkins last year from that planting. I enjoyed the home-grown pumkins on my porch for a while and then l
composted them when winter set in. So this years pumkins are a result of the composted pumkins from last year. The Baby Bears look the same as they did last year. But the Howdens are smaller and a different shape than they were last year. Do you think they could be a Howden-Baby Bear cross? The look in-between the 2 varieties in both shape and size. They are starting to turn orange so I don't expect them to get much bigger or that the shape will change.
immature Baby Bear pumpkin

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

most likely you have crosses, squash crosses easily and the seed is rarely true if grown. The way tree seed is gotten in a home garden is to go out really early in the morning before the bees fly. take pollen from a male flower with a sable brush and brush it all over a new female flower. You then tie the flower shut so not bees can get in with pollen from any other variety. Then mark the resulting fruit, so you know which one to save seed from.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thanks. Now I'm sure it's a cross. The Howden-Baby Bear pumpkins are about 8 inches wide. They are unusual. I like them

Return to “All Other Fruit”