Sweyn

What are these fruits?

I found these growing wild, while out exploring. Does anyone know what they are and if they are edible?

The berries in the last photo were growing on small bushes.
Attachments
Berries4.jpg
Berries3.jpg
Berries2.jpg
Berries1.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

1. Haws....fruit of the Hawthorn.
2. Sloes.....sloe gin etc.
3. One of the night shades. ( could be the Deadly )
4. Elderberry...flowers and fruit good for wine making.

Sweyn

Thank you very much, JONA.

If number 3 is not the Deadly kind of nightshade, would it still be something that is not edible?

Are the other fruits ripe or nearly ripe? I found a lot of them and now that I have been reading a little about each, I would like to pick them.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Don't touch the nightshade Sweyn...not edible.

The Haws are ones we used to pick as kids ....Hips and Haws...to make jelly.
We used to call them ' bread and Butter berries. They are pretty tasteless actually , but the birds rely on them for winter fuel.

The Sloes need to be just softening. They are very astringent if you try to eat them raw. They dry your mouth out like a sponge.
If you want to make Sloe gin, put them in the freezer...that will split them....then soak them in a bottle of gin for a month or more. Delicious.

The Elder berries once they are all dark black and soft are ready to pick. They make a lovely home made wine.
Some folk can eat them raw..but I find they have a tang that I don't like.

Sweyn

Thanks very much, JONA.

I'll try to go back and pick some. You've inspired me :D

applestar
Mod

I make syrup and jelly from Elderberries. I have a gallon freezer bagful waiting in the freezer for when I have time. 8)

The elderflowers make lovely summer drink when made into simple syrup. The key I found out is NOT to boil the blossoms, only after straining them out.

Sweyn

I went back and picked Haws and Sloes. I also picked in another location, far from the first one.

What are the Haws meant to taste like? I found them to be very dry and bland. Is that normal? The Sloes were only a little bit sour and not dry. Is that normal?

JONA
Greener Thumb

I agree with you on the Haws, the leaves were also used as a sort of lettuce...but again I reckon you needed to be very hungry to get any enjoyment from them.
As to the sloes....I find them very astringent in the mouth, especially if they are not fully ripe. Guess it varies with how your taste buds react. But again they do make a super drink with sloe gin!!

Sweyn

applestar wrote:I make syrup and jelly from Elderberries. I have a gallon freezer bagful waiting in the freezer for when I have time. 8)

The elderflowers make lovely summer drink when made into simple syrup. The key I found out is NOT to boil the blossoms, only after straining them out.
That sounds good. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pick some, this year. I'll try next year.

Sweyn

JONA wrote:I agree with you on the Haws, the leaves were also used as a sort of lettuce...but again I reckon you needed to be very hungry to get any enjoyment from them.
As to the sloes....I find them very astringent in the mouth, especially if they are not fully ripe. Guess it varies with how your taste buds react. But again they do make a super drink with sloe gin!!
Thanks. I might try gin but, I don't have as many Sloes as recipes normally require. I had to leave many on the trees because, not all of them were big. I might try a scaled down recipe and adjust the amount of each ingredient. Maybe I'll just eat them as they are. I read on other websites that they will keep for a long time, in a freezer.

Do you think that Haws will taste better if they are made into a product like jam or liqueur? I don't think that I'll try their leaves.

JONA
Greener Thumb

In the war years and just after they were mixed with hips from roses and a syrup was made. A sort of bulked up rose hip syrup. Great for the kids as its so high in vitamin C

Sweyn

That sounds nice, Jona. I might try it. Thanks.

Return to “All Other Fruit”