applestar
Mod

Date palm from store bought date fruit

I realize I am not likely to ever have fruit bearing date palm trees, but since this STARTED as a fruit, I'm putting this Thread in the Fruit Forum :D

-- You know those dehydrated dates you get in plastic containers? I planted a couple of seeds from those, and look what happened :clap:
image.jpg
-- I know for a fact this is the date palm because I tried this ages ago -- same process but I think the dates came in a bag -- except I planted the seed in a (largish) terrarium, never actually expecting it to sprout.... But it did. It grew from this same single accordion pleated sprout to divided/palmate leaf.... Then several leaves, but then it was too big to grow in what was now tiny container and too big to get it out of the opening. :roll:

Hopefully, I can keep THIS one growing :-()

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Get a bigger greenhouse. Your gonna need one. :)

applestar
Mod

Delvi83

It's resistant (when is big) to about 20° F

Sweyn

That's nice. How long did it take to germinate? How long did it take to reach that size?

applestar
Mod

I don't know precisely. I do sometimes write things on the side of the container so I'll check tomorrow to see if I did.

All I know is this is probably a container that was used to overwinter a pepper plant in dormancy in the garage, so it was put outside in spring after weather warmed up enough for peppers... but it didn't survive/come back to life.

When I decided to plant the date seeds, I just grabbed a likely sized container that didn't have anything alive growing in it.

I took the photo a couple of days after noticing the sprout while clearing the weeds In and around the containers.... (Yes I KNOW I have to get all those yellow crabapples out of there.... : oops: )

Sweyn

Nice, applestar. You could put a little tag with a number on it, in the pot, then write down the same number on a piece of paper, along with details like when you planted it and how long it took to grow.

If you continue growing it, you will need a huge space. According to this https://www.britannica.com/plant/date-palm date palms can grow up to 23 metres (75 feet) tall.

Francesco Delvillani

In USDA 6 it won't survive outside....Date Palm is of the same genre as Canarian Palm. Here in Italy are planted in coastal regions as ornamental plants, but rarely fruit well (at least in the North), they need very hot and dry summer to ripen their fruits

applestar
Mod

Yep! I will be bringing it inside before it gets too cold -- my winter indoor garden is getting crowded! :lol:

It will be an experiment to see how well I can keep it going and how big I can get it to grow before having to either give up on it or giving it away. It will be interesting anyhow. :D

JONA
Greener Thumb

Down in the south of England at the seaside resort of Torquay there are hundreds of various palms including the date palm. Some years they do winter wrap them....but usually the warmth of the sea keeps them safe.

Francesco Delvillani

I'll try the same experiment with Canarian Palm :).....Date and Canarian Palm are close related

Return to “All Other Fruit”