Jess e lee
Newly Registered

Is this a sucker or a new lemon tree?

I have just started working in a long neglected lemon tree grove. There is a 2" diameter stump that has had no growth for over two years, but which has just put out new growth. The growth is about 18" tall. Is this just a sucker, or something worth nurturing into an eventual lemon tree? Thx in advance for any input.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Jess
As most citrus trees are grown from scions grafted onto root stocks, it is more than likely that your shoot is a water shoot coming from the original root stock.
If it is well out of the way..then all I can suggest is...leave it and see.
Root stocks are used to help control things like disease resistance and growth control.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If you are redoing an orchard statistically you would have better luck removing the stump and starting over. I admit I might be tempted to wait and see like Jona, if it didn't matter what the outcome was and I could spare the space and time. If you really want a lemon tree on that spot, if this a water shoot (most likely) then the time you spend waiting to see, will set you back several years potentially. So I would weigh whether to postpone the replacement of the tree against the chance that what you have will turn into something desirable.

Jess e lee
Newly Registered

Thanks JONA and Charliebear, for your replies. Your information has helped me make my decision, though it will require more perspiration. Since I would prefer a healthy scion, space is tight, and I don't want to lose any more time than I have to before making a tasty Meyers Lemon lemonade, I'm taking that stump and shoot out, and planting a "newbie."

I'm in CA, zone 10, so just barely keeping my plants alive with watering. With hopes of heavy winter rains this winter, my new member of the (small) grove will have to wait until Spring.

Return to “All Other Fruit”