Franco

Unidentifyable Lemon Pest

Hey guys, I've searched around a bunch on google and could only find two pictures that looked like mine, and neither of those websites had a conclusive answer for me. So here I am turning to the gurus.

I got this lemon tree about 3 years ago, it's been in an approximately 18" pot and is about 4' tall. This Spring it developed rust on the underside of its leaves as well as some weird coloration (can't decide if they are lesions) on its stems. I cut them off quickly because I was quick to jump at the possibility of Citrus Canker, not that that would help, but yeah.

So can anyone here figure out what's going on with my plant?

"Don't you know we are the roots that hold this tree, feeding the branches and all of its leaves?"

-Trevor Hall

applestar
Mod

Re: Unidentifyable Lemon Pest

Did you acclimate your tree to sunlight this spring when you put it outside? -- I.e. Start off in shade and gradually move to more direct sun location?

The black marks on the top leaf looks like sunburn to me. The browned stems could be too if they were tender new shoots. Mine gets that when I'm too impatient or forget that the angle of the sun chafes the shadow pattern as the season progresses.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Franco

I was really hoping this would be the answer. No, I didn't acclimate it at all. I figured since there was no leaf drop nor sunburn on the top of the leaves that weather damage wasn't the cause. The plant has hardly grown this year, which concerns me. It's put out a few shoots that never really turned into anything. Last year the thing doubled in size. I don't think I have more than a couple new leaves (if that, honestly). Are you sure this is caused by not acclimating?
"Don't you know we are the roots that hold this tree, feeding the branches and all of its leaves?"

-Trevor Hall

applestar
Mod

Could you post a picture of the entire plant?

When was the last time you repotted/uppotted it? What are you using for fertilizer?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Franco

Here's the whole thing, like I said, I kinda maimed it. Last year I tried pruning it so it would look more like a lollipop tree (which is called pollard, right?), that's why it's bare until the top. I kinda committed the ultimate gardening crime and stole this plant from my school. I know I know, I was pretty depressed at the time, really jaded about the school, and realllllly wanted it. Anyway, it's in its original pot (never repotted), and I fertilized it maybe a couple of times with some generic liquid Miracle Grow stuff. Oh and once I added some granular "citrus fertilizer" my girlfriend got from her friend's mom. It smells like chicken manure to me, so I'm thinking it's just that.

-Trevor Hall

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”