Ben93

Calamondin tipped over out of pot.

My cakamondin tipped over in the garden it was on a ledge I got in and found it on the floor out of pot. The roots were still holdinf to soil so filled in whatvwas missing with new compost don't think main trunk/stem is damaged or snapped as it was still holding the soil. But I'm not sure as the tree is wobbly at the top now like where the main bit goes into soil its easily wobblibg around and isnt sitting stiff and upright anymore. How should I check the main bit for damage or should I not disturb it and see how it goes.

It happened a week ago and hasnt started to go funny yet.

Also theres loads of new leaves but theyre light greeb and not darkening like the rest is the plant lacking nutrients.

applestar
Mod

I would not fertilize right now. It may have been damaged and not transporting water and nutrients where it is bruised. You don't want to feed a stressed patient.

I think best course of action would be to sprint it as if there is a broken/cracked bone. Two sturdy stakes with sharp pointed end pounded in on either side of the trunk, then tied securely in two or three places with either grafting paraffin tape or just electrical tape (you will need to remove later before outgrows and strangled).

Move it to a dappled light spot (under a tree for example) if currently in full sun, and give it a week or two to recover.

imafan26
Mod

if the root ball was intact and the roots were still alive, it should come back. You can splint the branch but I would wait and see see if it survives first. If it is not essential, and it hang, you can cut it off. It would be better to have a clean cut than a weak or partially broken branch that might let in pests and disease.

Calamondin usually comes back with a vengeance after it is pruned if it is healthy.

Ben93

Ok it isnt that big its only a small calamondin its very bushy but no fruit or flowers id say its probably a year old but u don't know as I bought it online. Its leaves have always been lighter aNyvnew ones that grow. But its not tall enough to splint it comes out the soil a little then just is bushy. Ill see if it gets itself sturdy again. If it had snaped it wouldnt of clung to the root ball and had all of the soik nearly still attarched I'm assuming it is not snapped underneath the soil.

Ill just see how it goes I think.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

New fresh growth normally has lighter leaves.

Ben93

Is there anyway to see if it has anapped or half snapped or would it have not been able to hold on to the soil of it was. I hope it recovers as its doubled in size since having it.

applestar
Mod

Well, I still think it's like wiggling a broken arm when it feels like it might be broken.

If there's any doubt, I think you'd be better off stabilizing it and letting it heal over.

I've desperately tried to save plants that had broken and kinked -- not broken off completely -- in the past. Sometimes they make it, and sometimes they don't. But the worst part of it is every time you move the broken portion, you make it worse. So the best thing to do is formulate a plan, lay out everything you need, then straighten and secure in all one shot.

In your case, you don't know for sure, but if you immobilize the part you think is wiggly, then it should heal.

Ben93

Should I put bamboo in the plastic pot with it and just tie it at bottom where its wobbly

imafan26
Mod

You said the calamondin was about a year old. Was it from seed or cutting?

From seed it will take 5-7 years to fruit. If it is from a cutting of a mature tree it will fruit even when it is small.

Staking it may help if it is wobbly.

Ben93

I have no idea as I got it online its got twoce as many leaves nd branches now but the main bit coming out the soil is green not like a trunk at all. So maybe a seed? Its like a bushy load of leaves all the old leaves are dark all the ones that have grown this year have stayed light green. I don't think its gonna have fruit any year soon.

Return to “All Other Fruit”