Sweyn

Growing fruit trees from seeds

Does anyone have any experience of growing fruit trees from seeds? Which kinds would be simplest to grow? I haven't tried it but, want to know what it would be like and which fruits would not be very difficult or time consuming to look after.

imafan26
Mod

It depends on the fruit. However, it will take years for a fruit tree to fruit from seed. Since seeds are variable it is a crapshoot as to whether the fruit will be good or not. A grafted tree is a better choice as it will usually fruit within a couple of years and the graft is usually from a tree with known quality of fruit.

if you grow anything, it needs time. You will need to fertilize, water, take care of the insect problems and depending on the tree prune them properly. While I don't think it is difficult, except for maybe the pruning and applying fungicides, most trees that have good fruit are also cared for. A fruit tree that is neglected, is likely to have poorer fruit, even if it is a good tree.

Sweyn

imafan26 wrote:It depends on the fruit. However, it will take years for a fruit tree to fruit from seed.
I had heard of that.
imafan26 wrote:Since seeds are variable it is a crapshoot as to whether the fruit will be good or not. A grafted tree is a better choice as it will usually fruit within a couple of years and the graft is usually from a tree with known quality of fruit.

if you grow anything, it needs time. You will need to fertilize, water, take care of the insect problems and depending on the tree prune them properly. While I don't think it is difficult, except for maybe the pruning and applying fungicides, most trees that have good fruit are also cared for. A fruit tree that is neglected, is likely to have poorer fruit, even if it is a good tree.
I can give some time to care for a tree, I just don't have a massive amount of free time to do it. I have been considering growing some trees for gardens and open spaces so, I am prepared for it to be a long term effort. I'll look into buying a grafted tree.

Thanks for your advice. :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”