HGrep

How to fix container fruit with too much nitrogen?

Hi everyone,

I think I made a big mistake which cost me strawberries & grapes this year. I'm so sad. I planted two beautiful strawberry plants & a grape vine in large containers (I know grapes in containers-but I saw some really inventive trellising & some successful harvests from others & thought I'd give it a go). I used dr. Earth fruit & tee mix directly int he container. I am wondering if that was too much nitrogen bc I'm getting lots of leaves, so flowers. the strawberry leaves have also curled.

Should I remove these? I understand grapes don't transplant well, so should I wait until fall & try to propagate? I think I will go directly into the ground with it.
How about the strawberries?

Thanks in advance!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Grapes transplant very well when they are dormant. People who are careful and know what they are doing have successfully transplanted grapes that are up to 100 years old. Grapes need to be trained to the trellis over the course of several years and properly pruned after that in order to produce many grapes. you need your trellis in place now and begin training the vine to it. You can get some more detailed instructions on grape training styles from Oregon Extension site. Don't move the strawberries if you are going to until very early spring before they start growing again, or they will most likely die. Grapes are pruned in very late winter, very early spring before the buds begin to swell. If you prune them later than that they will "bleed". First you need to form a structure and they you prune 2-3 buds out on last years growth from the structure you have chosen (except spigot trained grapes). Pull up the articles at the extension or get a good book on grape training from the library.

imafan26
Mod

If you just planted your grapes this year, it probably won't fruit. It takes a couple of years to get fruit. Grapevines should be planted in the Spring when they are dormant. They need a long growing season and in the first year they will produce leaves and roots and no fruit.

Strawberries leaves curling. Could be a few things. Look under the leaves for signs of sucking insects. I don't know about the conditions where you are, but in summer I have my strawberries under a tree. When I had my strawberries in a bed in full sun, I had to cover them with a light mulch during the summer. They did not really take to summer sun well.

HGrep

Thanks so much charlieBear & Imafan, I will take heed on all of this advice! Much appreciated :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”