applestar
Mod

If that's webbing I'm seeing in this picture, then almost certainly mites of some kind -- red spidermites and two spotted mites are the ones I've encountered before.

Eimant
Newly Registered

Spider mites?I haven't seen them on the plant.
And why are there so many brown spots on the plant? Also leaves fell off after getting completly spotted.
Also thanks for reply.
I need help fast before the last leave falls off.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Sorry, but that very obvious webbing in the pic definitely points to Spider Mites. You need to get yourself some Safer Insecticidal Soap spray & have at it asap. Although if your plant is so far gone that it's down to one leaf, it may already be too late.

Eimant
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info I'l try to reppel them with onnions and other repellents..

applestar
Mod

By the time you see that kind of webbing, it is a serious infestation. They are extremely tiny and you need good vision -- or 60x to 100x magnification in case of tomato russet mites (but we're not talking about them here) -- to see them at all. One often suggested way to check for them is to hold a white paper under the leaf, tap the leaf and see if you see red, brown, or black "powder" if you can smear the powder into streaks by putting the paper on a flat surface rubbing the paper firmly with your finger, then that's a definite yes.

If you want to start by just rinsing the plant with water under a shower or outside garden hose, or kitchen sink spray, by all means. I had two spotted mite infestation and used sudsy Dr. Bronner's liquid soap water in a big-gulp cup to dip and dunk the leaves in -- AMAZING number of specs were swirling around in the liquid after just one good dunk. That's when I KNEW I was in trouble. Until then, I had underestimated the degree of infestation because I simply could not see the mites.

I have to tell you, though, that plain water didn't dislodge the mites very well at all and after a thorough shower with whet seemed like a pretty strong water pressure, I was still seeing a lot of mites float off when I tried the cup-dunking in soapy water afterwards.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Eimant wrote:Thanks for the info I'l try to reppel them with onnions and other repellents..
You CANNOT "repel" Spider Mites with "onions and other repellents". You NEED to use commercial insecticidal soap (AGAIN I strongly recommend the Safer brand) according to package directions & PRONTO. Otherwise you can kiss your fig goodbye. As it is, that mite infestation is so serious at this point that it may even be too late for even insecticidal soap to save it.

Eimant
Newly Registered

Thanks for advices the leave have fallen but new leaves are forming(also branches are coloring green) they don't look infested to me good luck all.

Return to “All Other Fruit”