tommyblaze
Cool Member

blackberry and raspberry id help

Iam not sure what blackberry or raspberries I have. This is the blackberry it has thorns and last year it tended to grow along the ground this year it is growing more upright.
Attachments
IMG_20150701_143221.jpg

tommyblaze
Cool Member

This is my raspberry from last year. Last year I got no berries it has thorns but they are soft. I thought it was heritage but who knows.
Attachments
IMG_20150701_143324.jpg

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Raspberry from the plant above
Attachments
IMG_20150701_143359.jpg

tommyblaze
Cool Member

This is my other raspberry plant which I also thought was heritage but the thorns are hard. Also the thorns are different colors from each other one is purple and one is more red.
Attachments
IMG_20150701_143518.jpg
IMG_20150701_143505.jpg

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Without tasting a ripe blackberry as well as comparing the growth habits and times of ripening as compared to what might be expected in your area, there is no way to even guess at what it is. Since it has thorns and I assume it is domestic variety that narrows down what it could be. However we then have to determine whether it is one of the newer varieties or more of an old standard. The news on the raspberry isn't much better, the berry you took a picture of could be any of a long list of cultivars and again we need to is it a new variety or one of the older standard cultivars as well as growing conditions for the year. How firm is the berry and where is the ripening time in the spectrum for you area and so forth. You might find someone in your area that is very familiar with all the berry cultivars grown in your area who might be able to to narrow it down to 1-3 culitvars on sight. It is much harder by picture. There are so many varieties of raspberries and thorned blackberries currently available, as well as those recently available to do more than guess from a picture without a lot more info.

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Thanks for the help anyways. I knew it would be difficult for someone to I.d it but I gave it a shot anyways

Return to “All Other Fruit”