lappets
Newly Registered

Passion Flower turning into a ghost with white leaves - help

20150610_205614a.jpg
Hello,

My young passion flower has green leaves starting to turn white and I am not sure of the cause.
They feel brittle to the touch.
I feed it tomato fertiliser and water once per week but it is getting worse recently.
See photo.
It's in a pot outside standing in full sun.

imafan26
Mod

Most likely cause is sunburn. Did you have it in the shade and then move it to a sunnier spot?

lappets
Newly Registered

Super Green Thumb, thanks for the quick reply.
It's been outside for a few weeks but we just had some hot sun for the first time in a while - this is the UK 8)
I will move it into a shadier spot now and see if it recovers - should I cut off the white parts of the leaves ?

imafan26
Mod

Most plants need to be taken out to the sun slowly. They will actually do better in the sun than the shade, but passion flower will handle part shade. The flowering will be better with its head in the sun the feet in the shade and kept on the moist side.

As long as the center of the leaf is still alive, I don't remove the leaves until the new leaves comes out. If it has any green left it can still do photosynthesis. If it becomes more necrotic looking then I would have to take the leaves off.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, sunburn. The plant will adapt and the new leaves that emerge will be fine. The burned leaves will never recover, but as imafan said, don't remove them until the plant has new leaves.

lappets
Newly Registered

Thanks imafan26 and rainbowgardener for the good advice :D
I'll post back when I have an update.

Bigladgaz
Newly Registered

Thanks for that. I must say I wondered if that was it. I'll move it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”