babalu

strawberry, can buds be picked or must flowers first form?

hi, can I pick off the buds instead of waiting for flowers to form? if so, can they be picked off when really small after just emerging from the crown? also can the complete stalk with the flower buds on it be picked off or just the individual buds?

shadylane
Green Thumb

It is the case when a gardener has just planted strawberry plants. Picking the blooms helps strengthen the plant, and time to become established. If you missed one, don't fret. Next year you should have a good amount to enjoy. In about three years of growing you should see sizable healthy plants and an abundance of fruit. Also, some cut away the runners and some leave the runners... if leaving, this will be making new "sister" plants depending on what type of strawberry system you are wanting.

babalu

hi,thanks, but can I pick the buds before they have formed flowers or must I wait till the buds form flowers first before picking them? I think my plants are likely everbearing, not june ones. don't know if that makes a difference or not.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Can strawberry's buds be picked or must they flower first? I don't see a problem with that, picking the buds. "Everbearing", if you have purchased the plants already established from a re-sale nursery which can be two year old plants and re-potted into a large holding container, you may want to enjoy those berries.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I did not see your double postings...I see that your question has been answered.

Return to “All Other Fruit”