Michaell
Newly Registered

Farm next door

Hello fellow forum users, I want to get your opinion on something. I live on a AR( Agricultural residential) zoning, and have many fruit trees. We have 15 blueberry Jewel/Emerald 4 Apple trees, 2 pear trees, 5 peach, 5 plum, 1 mulberry, 1 olive, 1 cherry bush, walnut tree, olive tree, pomegranate tree. Anyways, next door is a Commercial blueberry/ citrus fruit company. They have asked us to remove our trees, "because it can mess with their crops". I am planning on digging up the orange tree because it is under huge pine trees and doesn't get enough sun. However, what do you guys think about them making this request? Honestly, I want to tell them " No, your trees/bushes are going to mess with my crop". My family has lived on this property for 70 years, and they started the business 3 or 4 years ago. I feel like they're just trying to bully us to get rid of them.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Michael...tell them where to get off!
I've worked commercial fruit farms all my life but never heard that one before.
Ask them what they are worried about. Is there a particular disease or pest that is causing problems in your area.
Are they 'organic'.
Or are they just pig headed.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Are they trying to force you to sell them the property? Find out if it is the Walnut tree that they are objecting to they can "pollute" the ground around them, or is it the Mulberry. Some varieties can cause problems- actually killing anything trying to grow close to them. Since they don't grow around here at all I don't know if the pomegranate or the cherry bush is of concern. I would definitely start by trying to understand their concerns, before you escalate a bad situation, even though they knew you were there when they moved in. Ask them to explain in what way and which trees specifically they are referring and why. Maybe it is as simple as they have seen you spraying and don't know if you are using pesticides or organics.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Michaell wrote:Hello fellow forum users, I want to get your opinion on something. I live on a AR( Agricultural residential) zoning, and have many fruit trees. We have 15 blueberry Jewel/Emerald 4 Apple trees, 2 pear trees, 5 peach, 5 plum, 1 mulberry, 1 olive, 1 cherry bush, walnut tree, olive tree, pomegranate tree. Anyways, next door is a Commercial blueberry/ citrus fruit company. They have asked us to remove our trees, "because it can mess with their crops". I am planning on digging up the orange tree because it is under huge pine trees and doesn't get enough sun. However, what do you guys think about them making this request? Honestly, I want to tell them " No, your trees/bushes are going to mess with my crop". My family has lived on this property for 70 years, and they started the business 3 or 4 years ago. I feel like they're just trying to bully us to get rid of them.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how anyone can dictate you having to remove any trees on your property unless they are threatening to do damage (as in falling on, etc., etc.) their property. Sounds like hooey to me, but if you were sent written correspondence from them, it might be worth having a lawyer have a looksee & get this nipped in the bud before agonizing over it &/or doing any removal/digging.

Michaell
Newly Registered

They asked me verbally, to remove them because they say they're afraid it would affect their crops if they become diseased etc. My family will never sell the property, we own 25 acres on 3 sides of their property. The Walnut tree is at least 100ft from their property line @CharlieBear. I don't spray the trees with any pesticides, only water. I asked them which trees specifically, and they requested to at least remove the orange tree and loquat tree. I know their farm is of blueberry bushes and tangerine trees. They said the government came out and inspected their land etc, and mentioned to talk to us about our trees. However, if the government did say anything they should have come and talked to us about the problem.
Last edited by Michaell on Thu May 21, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Then they frankly don't have a legal leg to stand on, & their reasoning is faulty as well. How sad that someone in the agricultural business is so clueless as to believe that your trees are any more of a threat to theirs as theirs are to yours. How ridiculous & unfounded. I'd tell them - politely - to go take a hike. :evil:

Michaell
Newly Registered

Here's some of the trees.
Attachments
CAM01890.jpg
CAM01889.jpg
CAM01887.jpg
CAM01886.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

They look very healthy to me Michaell.
I'm guessing that when they say government...they mean a Horticultural Advisor from the department for agriculture....or something similar.
If your trees were full of Fire Blight or similar it would be understandable but I think they are just getting too big for their boots.

imafan26
Mod

They may be worried about citrus greening disease, Huanglongbing. It is a serious disease that spreads by the Asian psyllid and has no cure.

I would try to talk with them first to find out why they thought your trees were a problem? if your trees are healthy it doesn't seem to make sense, but maybe the 'inspector' saw something you are not aware of. The least they can do is explain why your trees are a problem for them.

https://www.saveourcitrus.org/index.php/citrus-greening

Michaell
Newly Registered

@imafan26, The inspector can't see anything with a 6 ft privacy fence and trees arn't close enough for him to actually look? He would of had to climb the fence on to our property and look. Like Jona said, they look healthy and I can't find anything wrong with them. I don't know why they think they're a problem, what they told me for reasoning is above.

imafan26
Mod

Well, then I just don't know then. It would help to know how your trees mess with their crops if as you say you have a barrier fence and they are not near the fence line.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I still think your neighbors are "full of it". And like you said, if the "government" is/was so concerned about your trees, why haven't they contacted you directly? Sounds very fishy to me.

Free Zucchini

While I'm no fruit tree expert, the tree in the third pic looks like it is in need of a pruning.

Return to “All Other Fruit”