Safroniabee

Blueberry pollination

I read that we should plant at least two blueberry bushes for cross pollination, but when I went to buy the 2nd bush I realized I had no idea what to get! Now we have a blue ridge and a jersey. Will that work okay? We are in zone 7.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I don't know about the "Blue Ridge" variety, but "Jersey Blue" is self-pollinating.

applestar
Mod

They just need to be blooming at the same time -- oh and I suppose they need to be both same species -- high bush or low bush or southern rabbit eye.

If I remember correctly, self pollinating ones produce better if there are more than one bush even if they are the same kind.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Actually bloom time is the most important and generally 3 types are best, but 2 will work. In blueberries the proper term is semi-self fertile so a second plant is still wise. Check earliness rating. If the first one is a mid rather than early or late then look for another mid bloom time to make sure they are in bloom at the same time. Out here where we grow lots of blueberries it has become apparent that mid or late work best as some years the bees don't fly often enough to get a decent set on the early.

Safroniabee

I just found out our neighbor had a blueberry bush too, so that helps! Thanks yall!

Delvi83

Blueberries are normally self-fertile

Return to “All Other Fruit”