babalu

help please with my strawberry plants

DSC02077.JPG
I am new to growing strawberries, can someone please advice if these plants are ok or not and what I should do. we did have a frost a couple weeks ago so some of the blossoms had black centers, I removed those blossoms, but not sure if all is healthy or not. thank you.
Attachments
DSC02079.JPG
DSC02076.JPG

babalu

I also want to add that none of the fruit (center of the blossoms) seems to be getting bigger but staying the same size. do the white pedals have to fall off for the fruit to develop? I have had some of the white pedals fall off but they still do not seem to get any larger at all, or how long is it supposed to take after flowering for the berries to get larger? thanks very much,

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Take a deep breath. You sound like you're going a little postal - lol.

Your strawberries look just fine healthwise, & it does take quite a while from blossom to ripe berry. You have QUITE a wait in front of you yet. And keep in mind that strawberries in containers can fruit differently from strawberries in-ground. (Oh, & if by "black centers" you mean the tiny black spots inside the flowers via your pics, those are normal.)

Here's just one link re: growing strawberries in containers. There are a lot more out there that you may want to research.
https://www.urbanfarmerlady.com/2011/how ... ontainers/

babalu

thank you!! well they definitely had frost damage, we had a good frost, some of the blossoms were a small and completely black berry and I am quite sure it was frost damage, I plucked those ones off, the black part was the whole strawberry part., so maybe these blossoms have very slight damage, but will still develop. can you tell me please approximately how much time before the berries on the blossoms (yellow part) will start to at least increase in size, its been weeks since many of these blossoms have been on there and not a single one has increased even slightly. I also read that plants can get root bound in the containers, I believe its the second year in the container, would you perhaps recommend that I take a plant or two out of each container, each container has three or four clumps in it. thanks again.

JONA
Greener Thumb

On average babalu, strawberries take around 60 days from start of growth to ripe fruit.

Return to “All Other Fruit”