sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Buds on my pear tree, finally!

I planted my fruit trees 6 years ago, and finally today there are buds! Woop Woop!!!!! I'm excited about it! it isn't all that big of a tree and it didn't really grow much the past few years so I didn't prune it because there is nothing to prune. it grew a lot the first 2 years and then it kind of stopped growing. I added some manure and lime last year and it must have liked it, because now it has buds. I am excited, but I have a question. This tree gets a fungus of sorts every year as soon as the leaves come out. It gets the red dots all over the leaves. How is this going to affect the pears that form? Will the be edible? Do I need to get something to put on the tree now before it starts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi sheeshshe! Welcome back, it's been awhile!

So I remember the discussions we had, when we figured out that some of the problems you were having had to do with really acid soil compounded by really acid water. As I remember, you corrected the water issue? Soil is a lot harder to correct unless you are gardening in containers or raised beds, not connected to the ground. Whatever you do will be cancelled out by all the surrounding native soil. So it probably really did like the liming, which you probably need to do every year, maybe even twice a year.

Back then you were reporting all kinds of fungal diseases all over everything. I thought that had to do with that acidity as well, especially water, if the water got on the leaves. Fungal growth in general is supported by acid conditions. That's why we treat it with things like baking soda. So I have no idea how your fungus would affect any pears that may develop. But treatments for fungus always work better preventatively. I would go ahead and treat it with a baking soda solution now.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Red spot fungus on pears is usually linked to the presence of cankers as well.
Juniper trees are great carriers too. So if you have any near check them for symptons too.
The fungus can infect the actual fruit...but is not usually so great a problem, but if there is canker around then that can cause very bad damage.
I can't suggest what spray to use as we may use different products this side of the pond.
But...in general all sprays work on these fungus by putting a protective shield down that kills spores as they land on the plant. There are very few things that will kill the actual fungus once it has germinated and is growing.
Removal of damaged leaves, if there aren't too many, helps keep spore population down.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thank you for the kind welcome! I wasn't going to do a garden this year bc last years garden was the last straw and it had a horrible result... however, some friends of mine told me that they are going to do everything they can do to help my garden and figure out what is wrong with it. one of them owns a farm/greenhouse etc and does everything organically. So I am going to give it one more try, and thus I started seedlings :)

you have a very good memory about my gardening situation! I'm impressed! :) the water from my house has been adjusted, yes :) I live across from a swamp, so that is probably the reasoning behind a lot of my issues, dampness in the air=fungul stuff. the pear tree I put in the edge of the woods when I planted it, bc I ran out of room. It was doing great and then we cut down some trees and I think perhaps the trees trying to grow back is sucking the life out of my pear tree, maybe? IDK. It does like the lime, all my trees do. I've been putting it twice a year, once I started adding lime last year, the apple trees started to grow so much! the plum tree still refuses to grow though. it is VERY weird. it hasn't grown at all since I planted it 6 years ago!

how much baking soda/water ratio? and how often should I spray it? thank you so much for your help :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I don't think I've seen canker... I don't think!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"mix one tablespoon of baking soda with a teaspoon of dormant oil and one teaspoon of insecticidal or liquid soap (not detergent) to a gallon of water. Spray on plants every one to two weeks.

Potassium bicarbonate- Similar to baking soda, this has the unique advantage of actually eliminating powdery mildew once it’s there. Potassium bicarbonate is a contact fungicide which kills the powdery mildew spores quickly. In addition, it’s approved for use in organic growing."
https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/con ... ry-mildew/

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Potassium bicarbonate is probably more effective and is available commercially.

When a plant (of any kind) just sits there, not growing, but not dying, in my experience, most often it has some kind of root problem, for some reason never developed much root system, or the roots have died or been eaten or whatever. With potted plants, it is easy to pull them out of the pot and check that. I'm not sure about your plum tree, but maybe you could dig around a little and see what you find.

Dampness and humidity certainly contributes to lots of fungal issues as does poor drainage and not enough sunshine. You may not be able to do anything about the humidity, but whatever you can do to get better drainage (not what swamps are known for) and more direct sun for your plants should help.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Guess what???? My teeny apple tree that finally grew a little last year has buds too!!!!!!! Tossing down the lime really really helped a LOT! yeeeeha!!! :) now, the other apple tree which grew tremendously last year has no buds thus far. I really hope there will be some though, bc the tree is really starting to look beautiful. I'm SO surprised that my tiny scrawny one has buds, I honestly though I would never ever see the day when that thing flowered. I hope my plum tree decides to grow this year. I should take a picture of these trees to show you all how pathetic they look, but I am happy that they're finally growing!

The trees are in full sun, so I don't think that is the issue. The ground though, one of the apple trees where it is at is mossy and next to the wild blueberries. The plum is further away, but clearly there is something wrong. I will dig around like you said and try and see if I can figure out what is up with the root system... although, my neighbors plum trees are doing the same thing. hers actually looks worse than my does, she has three and none of them have grown since she got them either. some looked completely dead.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

where do I get dormant oil? is this something I get at a garden center or do I have to order it online?

imafan26
Mod

You will usually find it sold as Volck oil and is available in many places. It is a dormant oil so follow the directions. It is usually applied when the tree is dormant, other wise it will make the tree drop every leaf.

https://www.lowes.com/pd_94034-446-01681 ... Id=3047703

JONA
Greener Thumb

I think it's a shame to use dormant oils.
They work by killing the eggs and larva of creatures that are over wintering on the tree.
Problem is it does not discriminate between the benifitial insects and the harmful.
In other words it sterilises the tree. Hence the reason most growers have ceased to use winter oils as if you have a clean tree..the first creatures to return is going to be the pest, as there is nothing there for the benifitial ones to eat. The balance of the insect population on the tree has gone.

applestar
Mod

^^^
I feel this way too. :bouncey:

@sheeshe - welcome back! I'm enjoying your excitement about the buds and growths of your pear and apple trees. :D What varieties are they? Did you get them from Fedco of Maine? They have apple cultivars that are northern area specific and description of some of them makes me wonder if they would survive as "far south as" in NJ.

I wonder why plum trees -- and stone fruits in general -- are more troublesome? I have issues with each of mine, too -- nectarine, peach, plum, cherry....

I hope there's a solution that will work for you.

How are the blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries doing?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well then the dormant oil is a no-no, it is already leafing out and the buds are soon to open! my pear tree is FULL of buds, nearly every single leaf cluster is buds!!!!! WOOP WOOP! :)

I did get one of my apple trees from fedco, :) it isnt' that far of a drive, hour and a half perhaps? I got some of my raspberry plants from there too, those are the ones that are growing best for me. those are the preludes. my other apple tree I got from a local nursery, along with the plum tree. the one flowering right now is a honey crisp. the plum is one of the local varieties that the nursery grows just lovely, I can't come up with the name of it right now although it is on the tip of my tongue! it grows plentiful amount of small oval shaped purple plums. I know you'll know the name of it, it is a common one.

I have a peach tree as well, but that isn't growing either, although my neighbors peach tree is so huge it is crazy!!!

I moved a bunch of my strawberry plants the other year and I don't think they're happy with where they're at. :( I swapped them with my raspberries that were there and the ground is just too acidic, I did a hugelculture thing hoping it would help but I don't think it is helping at all. oh well! I moved the raspberries as well, they didn't do anything last year, but I am hoping that this year they'll decide to grow, after all, the other raspberrries are happy over there! :) my blueberries are starting to leaf out, I need to give them some happy fertilizer today :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Oh my word!! I just went out and checked my trees again, and would you believe this?? I have buds on my flippin' plum tree! and the name came to me while I was out there, it is a Stanley. how is this possible? wow wow wow! it figures though that the one tree that is actually growing nicely doesn't have any buds. crazy how that goes! perhaps it needs to be pruned? I haven't had to prune anything since I put them in because they haven't grown at all LOL. but that one tree grew a lot last year, although I don't see anything that needs to be pruned, I don't 'think".

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are referring to the baking soda recipe I posted, the tsp of oil can just be salad oil. It's a very small amount, it's just supposed to help the baking soda solution stick to the leaves you spray it on. You could do the baking soda solution without the oil too, just might have to do it a little more often.

Looking back to your previous post, you said the soil where the raspberries were was too acidic for your strawberries so you 'did a hugelkultur thing' presumably to correct that. Hugelkultur is the practice of building a mound garden over rotting logs. So the 'hugelkultur thing' was burying some logs/ branches? I'm not sure why you thought that would raise pH. It may be neutral or depending on what the wood was, such as oak, pine, etc, it could be acidifying.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

the hugelkulture thing was just an experiment :) I figured I'd see what happens, it sounded like a fun thing to try at the time.

ahh ok! I will do that with the baking soda. perhaps I will do the baking soda this evening :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”